Police investigating after shooting incident at Village Pantry

<p>This is a text from Ball State Emergency Notifications regarding the incident. The university sent email and text alerts to students when the shots were reported and when the situation was no longer a threat to the campus.</p>

This is a text from Ball State Emergency Notifications regarding the incident. The university sent email and text alerts to students when the shots were reported and when the situation was no longer a threat to the campus.

If you have any information or eyewitness accounts on the shooting, please contact news@bsudailynews.com.

UPDATE

Two early-morning reports of shots fired near Ball State's campus are being investigated by the Muncie Police Department, Sgt. Brent Brown with MPD's criminal investigations division said.

Shortly after the initial report of shots fired at the Village Pantry near University and Dill streets, Brown confirmed a second report of a gunfire was reported in the nearby area around 3 a.m. Sunday morning. 

According to Brown, no arrests have been made in either incident, and other details are not currently available.

EARLIER

The Muncie Police Department is investigating after shots were fired outside the Village Pantry near University and Dill streets around 2:30 a.m. on Aug. 28.

Police said no one was injured during the “drive-by” style shooting, but suspects with weapons were pulled over in a car near the scene and taken into custody to be interviewed.

Twenty-two-year-old Abbey Shipley said she was walking near McKinley and University avenues when the incident occurred and heard three gunshots before others in the area began to run away.

"I was walking back to my car already and then I heard the shots go off. People (in the Village) started running away really scared and the police were there real quick," Shipley said. "Lots of people were scared, and I think they still are."

Muncie police have not confirmed the number of shots fired or the intended target.

Ball State Emergency Notifications issued a "shots fired" alert to students at 3:05 a.m. following the report and advised those nearby to avoid the area. At 4:41 a.m., the university issued an "all-clear" in the area with no ongoing threats to the campus.

According to university spokeswoman Joan Todd, no Ball State students were directly involved in the incident. Although university police and MPD both responded to the initial call, MPD will take over the investigation, Todd said.

This story will be updated.