Adult coloring books allow students to relax, get creative

<p>Adult coloring books have seen an increase in sales in the last two years even though they have existed since the 1960s. The books are a form of stress&nbsp;relief&nbsp;and relaxation for students especially.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</i></p>

Adult coloring books have seen an increase in sales in the last two years even though they have existed since the 1960s. The books are a form of stress relief and relaxation for students especially. DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Amazon's top five adult coloring books:

1. Release Your Anger: Midnight Edition: An Adult Coloring Book with 40 Swear Words to Color and Relax
    Price: $6.75
  2. Memos to S–ty People: A Delightful & Vulgar Adult Coloring Book
    Price: $5.99
  3. Adult Coloring Book Designs: Stress Relief Coloring Book: Garden Designs, Mandalas, Animals, and Paisley Patterns
    Price: $4.43
  4. Calm the F–k Down: An Irreverent Adult Coloring Book
    Price: $7.17
  5. Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Coloring Book
    Price: $9.57

Search "adult coloring books" on Amazon and you'll see 101 pages of results – with several books on the first several pages boasting a "best seller" badge.

According to Forbes, coloring books targeted toward adults have existed since the 1960s, but in the last two years, sales have skyrocketed.

Thousands of these books exist. There are floral patterns, abstract art designs, animals and even truly adult-themed ones with not-so-appropriate words meant to help release some anger.

There's even a Monthly Coloring Club, a service that sends themed coloring books to subscribers' homes for a monthly fee. The company views coloring as more than a pastime, and even said they were into coloring before it was cool.

"We exist to make your life easier," the company website says. "We have been coloring for years before coloring was popular and we know that although there are great books out there, some are put together [without] any thought into what makes coloring great."

The website even offers "free coloring classes" for those who might need a little help.

But what made this trend so popular?

1. It's fun. While coloring tends to be a children's hobby, that's just why it's attractive to many adults. Incoming freshman psychology major Genna George said she thinks many college students might be coloring to hold on to their childhood.

"There's not that many opportunities left to do that," George said. "So act like a kid with these books it's acceptable."
  2. It's relaxing. Some people say they like to color because it clears their minds. BeBrainFit.com says arts and crafts hobbies like coloring have the power to focus the brain similarly to meditation.

Ball State senior and telecommunications major Michael Taylor said he's taken to replacing watching TV and browsing the Internet before bed with coloring in order to relax and improve his sleep quality.

"I'd end up staying too late and not sleeping well," Taylor said. "Coloring before bed allows me to relax and just think about my day. I've been sleeping a lot better and falling asleep faster. It really just helps me to stay calm and get away from the Internet for a while.
  3. It can be a family affair. George said as well as reliving her childhood, she colors with both her mom and grandma, who is suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

"It's mostly just on the holiday's," George said. "But my grandma was a very artistic person ... and personally I suck at drawing, But [coloring] makes me feel like I'm very artistic like her."

She said sometimes she colors by herself, but she loves to color with family and can spend hours doing it.

4. It allows you to get creative. Ball State senior and speech pathology major Morgan Fine said she doesn't normally indulge in creativity. But when she's coloring, that changes.

"They are simple, yet can also be very intricate and there are just so many to choose from nowadays," Fine said. "You can easily find a coloring book that contains something of interest with the myriad of options available today in so many different stores."

When she's creating, Fine said she feels more focused and in a better mood as well.

"Coloring helps me focus in on one task and let my mind just relax and unwind while I just simply pick out colors and create," Fine said.