Monthly City Wide Comedy Jam to host Father's Day edition

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF MUNCIE CITY-WIDE COMEDY JAM FACEBOOK&nbsp;</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF MUNCIE CITY-WIDE COMEDY JAM FACEBOOK 

Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Ball State students can get a $5 discount by showing their Ball State ID.

This Saturday is the City Wide Comedy Jam, which will be featuring a Special Edition Father’s Day June 18 at Cornerstone Center for the Arts. 

The show is being produced and directed by a minority company named Hurd and Harris Entertainment LLC. The company was founded last year by Michael Hurd and Demetrius Harris, a Ball State alumnus.

Harris, who served as the president of the Black Student Association at Ball State for two years, encourages students to come to the show, and he also encourages any young Ball State comedians to get involved with the company.

Cornerstone will open its doors at 7 p.m., but the show will start at 8 p.m. The usual ticket price range for the show is $10 in advance and $15 at the door. However, all Ball State students get a $5 discount with a Ball State student ID. 

A portion of ticket sales will go to charities such as the Muncie Unity Center. H&H Entertainment has had a comedy show at Cornerstone once every month, and this will be the company's ninth show. 

"It's a positive thing we are doing. W're trying to bring laughs to the community of Muncie each month," Harris said.

This show will feature "big name" comedian experts from places all over country like Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit and Mississippi.

Mic Larry, Barbara Carlyle, Max Price and Bobby Jaycox will be performing. 

Mic Larry is a comedian who has appeared in Hockey Town Theater, The Comedy Castle, Ann Arbor Showcase and The Music Hall. He will be hosting the show Saturday. 

Barbara Carlyle has been a comedian for more than two decades and she has appeared on shows such as "Apollo Comedy Hour," "Def Jam" and "Comic View." Carlyle will be the headlining performer, Harris said.

Bobby Jaycox, winner the St. Louis Funny Bone Competition in 2013, will be a special guest at this weekend's show.

Hurd and Harris would like to invite all of Muncie to the City Wide Comedy Jam June 18. Harris especially wants Ball State students to attend because he wants to “reconnect with the Ball State community.”

In the future, Harris said H&H Entertainment will join with a Ball State sorority or fraternity to raise money for charitable organizations in Muncie.