Ball State men's golf begins 2016 MAC Championships

BALLS!
BALLS!

Last Four Team Finishes

Pinehurst Intercollegiate - 5th of 11

Mason Rudolph Championship - T7th of 14

Hoosier Collegiate - T6th of 13

Earl Yestingsmeier Memorial Invitational - 1st of 12

Ball State began the Mid-American Conference men's golf Championships April 28 at the Highlands Meadow Golf Club in Sylvania, Ohio.

With the tournament spanning over the course of three days, live scoring for the team will be available here.

The Cardinals have been practicing on the course for a few days now. Getting time on the course is key for head coach Mike Fleck to bring the team success, he said.

"It's really important to get a look at the greens," Fleck said. "Understanding how the ball is going to react putting and chipping is paramount."

The Cardinals lineup includes James Blackwell as the only senior, three sophomores — Johnny Watts, Keegan McKinney and Michael VanDeventer — and freshman Timothy Wiseman.

This year's MAC Championships also came at an ideal time for the Cardinals, as they took their only first place finish at the Earl Yestingsmeier Memorial Invitational April 15-16.

"Knowing that you can go out there and get the job done certainly helps" Fleck said "but that doesn't change how we go about it."

Ball State also finished in the top half in each of the previous three competitions before that, with sophomore Johnny Watts leading the team throughout the regular season. 

Last season, Ball State took seventh out of the nine participating teams, while Miami University took first, but the team is on a much different path entering this year's tournament. 

Ball State sophomore Johnny Watts took a surprising first place at the Championships a year ago after being ranked third in scoring average on the roster. 

This year, Watts is first in scoring average and boasts several top 20 and top 10 finishes.

The winner of the tournament will receive an automatic bid into the NCAA Championships in May.