Ball State women's tennis earns 3 MAC accolades

<p>
Ball State women's enters the Mid-American Conference tournament as the No. 1 seed after its first 20-win season in program history.&nbsp;</p>

Ball State women's enters the Mid-American Conference tournament as the No. 1 seed after its first 20-win season in program history. 

MAC Tournament Standings

1 - Ball State - 20-3 (7-1)

2 - Miami - 12-9 (7-1)

3 - Western Michigan - 17-7 (6-2)

4 - Buffalo - 13-7 (5-3)

5 - Akron - 15-9 (5-3)

6 - Toledo - 9-12 (3-5)

7 - Eastern Michigan - 5-16 (2-6)

8 - Northern Illinois - 2-19 (1-7)

9 - Bowling Green - 2-19 (0-8)

Ball State women's tennis earned three accolades given by the Mid-American Conference for its successful 2016 campaign. 

One of the best years in the program's history saw 20 wins and a MAC regular season championship, both program firsts.

For his efforts, head coach Max Norris was named the 2016 MAC Coach of the Year. Freshman Peyton Gollhofer earned All-MAC First Team and sophomore Carmen Blanco earned All-MAC Second Team honors after playing No. 1 and No. 2 singles all season.

"I would like to thank my fellow MAC coaches. It means a lot to be awarded this honor from them," Norris said in a statement. "We will keep working to make this a championship program."

Norris continues to break expectations and program bests as only three other coaches have earned coach of the year honors, the last coming 21 years ago.

As a freshman, Gollhofer led the Cardinals all season long. She is 23-7 overall with a 4-3 MAC record, playing the No. 1 singles position 12 times.

Blanco is another young star on the team's lineup. She is a sophomore transfer who led the Cardinals in overall wins with a 24-11 record. She has done particularly well in conference play, going 6-1 against MAC opponents.

"I am happy for [Gollhofer] and [Blanco]," Norris said. "I think they both bring something different to the table and that helps our lineup have more diversity. I hope they use this as motivation to build on in the tournament and for next season."

This season is not over for the Cardinals, however, as they will enter the MAC Conference tournament as the No. 1 seed beginning April 30 in Oxford, Ohio. Ball State will play either No. 4 Akron or No. 5 Buffalo to begin the tournament. 

The Bulls snapped Ball State's 15-match win streak with a 4-3 victory against the Cardinals April 10. That match remains the Cardinals only conference loss of the season.