YEAR IN REVIEW: Teh-Kuang Chang, Person of the Year

<p><em>DN PHOTOS SAMANTHA BRAMMER</em></p>

DN PHOTOS SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Top nominees for Person of the Year: 

Kelli Huth

Carli Hendershot

John Mann

Jack Hesser

Teh-Kuang Chang

The Daily News honors professor for 50 years of service

“I teach my students, and my children, three words: perseverance, creativity and inspiration.”

These are three of the most important words to Teh-Kuang Chang, the 2016 Ball State Person of the Year.

They describe not only the teachings he gives to his students and family, but his own life’s journey.

Chang was born in 1925 in Changting, located in the province of Fujian in China. 

Though his family lacked wealth and resources growing up, Chang was determined to learn and worked hard at his studies. After getting his bachelor’s degree in China, he came to the United States in 1956 to get his master’s and doctoral degrees.

He remembers fondly the phone call he received from Ball State University. He was in Washington, D.C., at the time and flew in to interview with someone from the department. 

He remembers getting into an argument with the director about Communist China; he left feeling unsure about the job, but was soon surprised.

‘They called me the next day and offered me the job — I was told to expect a 10-day waiting period, but they called me overnight,” he said. “They said my argument proved I would be good at my job and that I could speak well.”

Chang has become a fixture in the Ball State community. This is his 50th year with the university. 

He was the first political science department professor, and during his time here he developed the International Studies Program.

He was also the first non-American professor at Ball State to achieve tenure. Previously, foreign professors had not been granted it, so Chang went to see then-President John R. Emens to inquire about the system. Soon after, he was notified that the rule had been thrown out.

“I told him, ‘I do not know if I am good or not [for tenure], use your judgment, but it should be based on the quality of all professors,’” Chang said.

His work has focused on exposing students to sides of government outside the US system while also instilling in them the importance of the American values the country was founded on. 

One student took these values to heart.

On his 90th birthday in September, Chang received a card from an old student, Jim Davis.

“He sent me a card saying, ‘Congratulations, Dr. Chang, on the 90th Birthday – From Garfield!’” Chang said. “I didn’t teach him art, but I taught him American National Government. I taught that the Declaration of Independence says there are three unalienable rights: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

Davis explained to Chang that the  “pursuit of happiness” tenant really stuck with him and became, in part, the inspiration for his future career, making people happy with the comic strip “Garfield.”

In addition to Davis, Chang is proud of former students Roy Weaver, who served as the dean of the Teachers College at Ball State for 16 years, and Jeffrey Feltman, the under-secretary general for political affairs in the United Nations. 

Weaver has known Chang since 1965. He was a student worker for him as an undergraduate and also attended the Model UN trips Chang organized. He said Chang’s influence has been profound. 

“Chang was an inspiration to me in many ways,” Weaver said. “He was demanding and had high expectations for those who worked for him or were in his class. He opened the world for me, enabling me to imagine traveling the world. As a result, I have visited 47 countries. I observed his love and care for his family and the success that all of his children have had. I have always had the greatest respect for him.” 

Chang has also made an impact outside of Ball State.

He founded the Asian-Pacific studies research committee under the International Political Science Association (IPSA) after realizing the research was centered around the Western Hemisphere and was noticeably lacking in other areas. 

It has grown immensely, and today his daughter Angelin helps to facilitate its continued growth.

Chang also spoke at the White House during Ronald Reagan’s presidency. 

Beyond career accomplishments, however, Chang shows the most enthusiasm for his family: his wife Grace and their four children, Angelo, Angelin, Angelina and Angel. 

He explained their names are derived from the birthplace of his first son, Los Angeles, because it is “the city of angels.”

Though they live in various parts of the world, all of the Chang children regularly come home around holidays to spend time with each other and stay in close contact. 

Chang’s mentorship is present both at home and in the classroom. His colleagues have noticed his influence on students.

“Chang has been very influential in the lives of Ball State students,” said Joseph Losco, the director of the Bowen Center for Public Affairs at Ball State. “Through his wide network of international contacts, he has helped students over the years advance their careers in international diplomacy.”

However, for all the impact he has had on the lives of others, Chang feels grateful for his opportunities at Ball State. In a recent speech he made, gratitude was the focus. 

“I said thank you to Ball State University for giving me the opportunity to pay back society for the opportunity to educate both in China and the United States,” Chang said. “Otherwise, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to pay back the kindness I have received from the world.”