'Blast from the Past' is 2016 Homecoming theme

<p>The Ball State Homecoming Steering Committee has released the theme for 2016 Ball State homecoming. The theme will be "Blast from the Past," which will honor 90 years of homecoming traditions.&nbsp;<em>DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</em></p>

The Ball State Homecoming Steering Committee has released the theme for 2016 Ball State homecoming. The theme will be "Blast from the Past," which will honor 90 years of homecoming traditions. DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Homecoming Facts

• There was not a Homecoming in 1943
  • The largest Homecoming football crowd was 21,527 in a game against Central Michigan in 1997
  • There has been Homecoming royalty since 1938, and a king and queen since 1986
  • The Homecoming parade started in 1939
  • The Homecoming Talent Search/Variety Show started in 1967
  • The Homecoming Bed Race was introduced in 1980
  • The Homecoming Air Jam has been going strong since 1987

Information from bsu.edu

The theme is “Blast from the Past,” honoring 90 years of Homecoming traditions.

Matt King, the Homecoming Steering Committee General Chair, said the committee has been formulating the idea for a while and decided on a theme that would be the perfect fit for everyone and the big anniversary.

“We were originally thinking something '90s theme related, but we always remember that when we think of Homecoming themes, we think of the students as well as faculty, the community and alumni,” King said. “'Blast from the Past' can relate to just about any community and organization as well as students and alumni.”

The committee comprises 12 Ball State students and three advisors, all with specific responsibilities. The committee worked together in organizing, planning and coordinating the events, which King said will not disappoint.

“We are going to be zooming through the decades with all of our events,” King said. “All of our events will be related to the theme. It’s going to be very colorful and very fun.”

Ball State is known for its traditions and events, King said, so it was important for the committee to amp up Homecoming and make it more exciting by raising the bar every year.

“Homecoming is a big deal,” King said. “It is something that is important and there is a lot on the line here.”

King encouraged students to get involved Homecoming week, which will be Oct. 17 through 22. The Cardinals will host the Akron Zips in the Homecoming football game on Oct. 22 at Scheumann Stadium.

“Homecoming is something that you will always take with you when you leave, and when you come back it is something that you will always remember,” King said.