Cardinals beat Toledo, earn 3-seed in MAC Tournament
Ball State women's basketball (21-8, 13-5 Mid-American Conference) took an early lead in its regular season finale — 5-4 with 4:41 left in the first quarter -- and didn't look back in its 68-58 victory over Toledo (17-12, 12-6 MAC).
The Cardinals also earned the third seed in the MAC Tournament with the win.
Senior guard Nathalie Fontaine, Ball State's all-time leading scorer, recorded her 18th double-double of the season, leading the Cardinals with both 22 points and 14 rebounds.
MAC Tournament seeding (top 4 earn first-round bye)
1. Ohio (16-2 MAC, 24-5 overall)
2. Central Michigan (14-4 MAC, 20-9 overall)
3. Ball State (13-5 MAC, 21-8 overall)
4. Toledo (12-6 MAC, 17-12 overall)
5. Akron (11-7 MAC, 17-12 overall)
6. Eastern Michigan (10-8 MAC, 19-10 overall)
7. Western Michigan (8-10 MAC, 16-14 overall)
8. Buffalo (8-10 MAC, 16-13 overall)
9. Bowling Green (6-12 MAC, 10-17 overall)
10. Northern Illinois (4-14 MAC, 11-18 overall)
11. Kent State (3-15 MAC, 6-22 overall)
12. Miami (3-15 MAC, 9-20 overall)
Three other Ball State players scored at least 10 points — junior center Renee Bennett (15), freshman point guard Carmen Grande (14) and sophomore forward Moriah Monaco (10).
Junior guard Jill Morrison didn't score any points, but she logged 17 minutes on the court after missing the Cardinals' last three games with a foot injury.
As a team, Ball State outscored Toledo in the paint, 32-20, and won the rebounding battle, 40-32.
The Cardinals next game will be in the MAC Tournament quarterfinals March 9 against the winner of the first round game between six-seed Eastern Michigan and 11-seed Kent State.
Tipoff at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, is scheduled for 30 minutes after second-seeded Central Michigan finishes its game.