Steve Shondell announces retirement from Ball State

Head coach Steve Shondell speaks with players during the game against Belmont on Aug. 28 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY

Steve Shondell - Records at Ball State

2010 - 24-5 (14-2)

2011 - 25-8 (12-4)

2012 - 14-17 (7-9)

2013 - 24-8 (12-4)

2014 - 17-13 (11-5)

2015 - 15-17 (8-8)

Steve Shondell, head coach of the Ball State women's volleyball team for the last six seasons, has announced his retirement effective immediately, according to a press release.

Shondell was the 2010 Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year and led the Cardinals to a 119-68 (64-32 Mid-American Conference) record during his time at the school.

Ball State finished 15-17 overall last season.

“The past six years coaching the Ball State women's volleyball team have been six of the best years of my life,” Shondell said in a statement. "I will deeply miss coaching at Ball State, but will always be grateful and humbled for the opportunity I had to follow in my father's footsteps as we both graduated, coached and retired from Ball State University.”

Shondell graduated from Ball State in 1977, and served as a volunteer assistant for his father, Don Shondell, for the Ball State men's volleyball team. 

Steve now serves as the PA announcer for the men's team.

He went on to coach at Burris Laboratory School in Muncie for 34 years. He guided the Owls to 21 state championships, including a run of 13 straight at the 2A level, four national titles and seven undefeated seasons.

He took over at Ball State in 2010 - and helped the Cardinals return to the top of the MAC.

The team won the 2010 MAC title and earned a share of the 2013 MAC West crown. Ball State also was granted an at-large bid to the 2011 NCAA Championships.

“Steve has done a wonderful job elevating the Ball State women’s volleyball program,” Ball State Athletic Director Mark Sandy said. “I know all of our fans wish him well. Ball State and Muncie are woven into the very fabric of volleyball in the United States."

Shondell is a member of the American Volleyball Coaches Association Hall of Fame and the Ball State Athletics Hall of Fame. He has also been inducted to the Indiana Volleyball Hall of Fame and the Delaware County Athletic Hall of Fame.

The search for the next Ball State women's volleyball coach will begin immediately.