Ball State softball home opener this weekend

<p>Softball kicks off MAC play this weekend against Miami</p>

Softball kicks off MAC play this weekend against Miami

Weekend Schedule

Friday, April 1

vs. Ohio 3:00 p.m.

Saturday, April 2

vs Ohio 1:00 p.m.

vs Ohio 3:00 p.m.

A month and a half into the softball season, Ball State (14-18, 0-3 MAC) will play its first home game of the season April 1, after 34 games on the road.

The team played in seven different states — Alabama, Texas, Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio and Indiana — but head coach Megan Ciolli Bartlett said it's good to be back in Muncie.

“Being on the road, while being a reality of softball in the Midwest, is definitely a challenge,” she said. “We’re thrilled to finally play in front of our home crowd and be back in our territory, on our field and finally be the home team.”

The Cardinals are one of three Mid-American Conference teams that have yet to play a home game, the other two being Toledo and Western Michigan.

Last season, Ball State went 8-6 at home, the fourth-best home record in the Mid-American Conference.

This weekend, the team welcomes Ohio University (20-10, 2-1 MAC). They will play a three game series this year after only playing two against Ohio last year, going 1-1 in those games.

Ciolli Bartlett said she is excited about the advantages that playing at home will give her team.

“There’s a little more calm at home," she said. "You’re defending your house rather than trying to knock off someone in theirs. It definitely feels different. The girls will get to sleep in their own bed and there’s no rush to get on a bus or plane.”

Ball State will host their first home game April 1 at 3 p.m. They will continue the weekend with two games April 2 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.