Ball State men's volleyball sweeps Quincy, extending win streak to 9

On Feb. 12 the Ball State men’s volleyball team defeated Barton University at Worthen Area. Junior outside attacker Mike Scannell goes up for a hit against the Bulldogs. DN PHOTO ALLISON COFFIN

The ninth-ranked Ball State men’s volleyball team continued its winning ways after defeating Quincy at Worthen Arena in a three-set sweep.

Each of Ball State's set wins came by at least 7 points (25-16, 25-18, 25-18), as the Cardinals extended their win streak to nine.

The largest margin of victory came in the first set behind four kills from junior outside attacker Brendan Surane. The Cardinals were aided by the Hawks’ low serving percentage of .765 percent.

Head coach Joel Walton thought his team carried out the game plan on both sides of the net.

“I liked our defensive focus,” Walton said. “There were a couple of things that were key components of our game plan, and I thought our team did a nice job of being aware of when their setter was front row to avoid him getting on track attacking."

Walton said while his team did a lot of things well, but he was frustrated with his players talking to the opponents.

“I think we poked the bear a bit, we still have to play at their place; a lot of our guys were talking through the net tonight, and Quincy will remember that,” Walton said.

Walton said the verbal fighting throughout the match could have been a result from verbal altercations that occurred during last year's match with Quincy.

Quincy hung around in the second set before ultimately falling 25-18. The Cardinals completed the three-set sweep with a 25-18 win in the third set.

Junior outside attacker Mike Scannell continued to lead in the kill category. Scannell has led the Cardinals in kills for the past four consecutive games. He has also put up double-digit kill numbers against three ranked opponents including No. 7 Ohio State (13), No. 8 Loyola (11) and No. 14 Lewis (14).

“We really just talk about approaching every game the same way with the same mentality. It doesn’t matter what title's on the other opponent's jersey,” Scannell said.

The Cardinals are off to their best start since a 10-4 record to open the 2009 season. Currently, the team is 12-3 and 6-0 in the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association.

"Our confidence and aggressiveness has been key so far," Scannell said.

Ball State returns to action for the second night of a back-to-back Feb. 26 at Worthen Arena when the Cardinals take on the Lindenwood Lions.