Ball State men's basketball beats Western Michigan on the road, 74-64

Ball State sophomore guard Jeremie Tyler attempts a three-pointer during the game against E. Illinois on Nov. 16 in Worthen Arena.

The Ball State men's basketball team secured its first true road victory of the season, capturing a 74-64 victory over Western Michigan University on Jan. 12. 

This victory improved the Cardinals record to 11-5 and 2-1 in the Mid-American Conference. Junior guard Ryan Weber put on a scoring clinic for Ball State, shooting 83 percent from the field for a career high 26 points.

At the 13-minute mark, the Cardinals had a 20-point lead, but Western Michigan did not go away quietly, bringing the game within six. Sophomore guard Jeremie Tyler hit a key three pointer with 3 minutes left, to give the Cardinals a 67-59 lead, on the way to the victory.

Ball State forced into 10 turnovers and held Western Michigan to 36.5 percent shooting from the field. The Cardinals defense has remained a consistent part in the teams success this season.

The Cardinals will return to action at Worthen Arena this Saturday against Miami. Tip off is slated for 2 p.m.