Ball State hires Mike Neu as head football coach

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF BALL STATE ATHLETICS</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF BALL STATE ATHLETICS

Mike Neu - Career Ball State statistics

Passing completions - 580

Passing attempts - 970

Passing yards - 6,271

Passing touchdowns - 43

Interceptions - 40

Former Ball State quarterback Mike Neu has been named the new Ball State head football coach, the athletic department announced Jan. 7.

Ballstatesports.com released a video announcing the hire, which can be seen here:

Video

Neu, 45, takes over as the 17th head coach in program history following the resignation of former coach Pete Lembo to become a Maryland assistant on Dec. 22.

“We are delighted that Mike has agreed to become our head football coach,” Ball State Director of Athletics Mark Sandy said in a statement. “His football expertise, leadership traits and passion for Ball State are qualities that our student-athletes and fans will embrace.”

Ball State was one of only two Division I college football teams with a head coaching vacancy prior to Neu's hire.

An Indianapolis native, Neu began his time at Ball State in 1990 when he started his career as the team's quarterback. He graduated with what was then the highest number of passing yards in the school history at 6,271 after a four-year career.

Neu also led the Cardinals to a berth in the Las Vegas Bowl at the end of the1993 season. Following his senior year, Neu earned the Mid-American Conference Most Valuable Player and Offensive Player of the Year honors.

He went on to play in the Canadian Football League and the Arena Football League before his coaching career began in the AFL in 1998. Neu was the head coach of two different teams in the AFL and won the league's Coach of the Year Award in 2004.

Neu joined the New Orleans Saints as a scout in 2009 - the same season the team won Super Bowl XLIV.

He later returned to the college ranks in 2012-13 when he became the quarterbacks coach at Tulane University. It was his first college coaching job since his time as a graduate assistant at Ball State in 1994.

After his time with Tulane, Neu returned to the Saints in 2014 as the quarterbacks coach where he has served up to taking the Ball State job.

In all, Neu has 15 years of coaching experience in several different positions across the NFL, AFL and Division I Football Bowl Subdivision.

“We could not be more excited and proud to bring Coach Mike Neu and his family home to Ball State,” President Paul W. Ferguson said in a statement. "Coach Neu brings deep experience in college and professional football back to his alma mater. He is committed to elevating the student-athlete experience, catalyzing fan engagement, and developing a winning tradition in the highly competitive MAC.”