Cardinal Commitment campaign athletic facilities update

Cardinal Commitment will include a new practice court and new locker rooms for men’s and women’s basketball. The campaign was announced April 20, 2013, with a goal of $20 million. RENDERINGS COURTESY OF BSU ATHLETICS

Upgrades and renovations of Ball State athletics facilities have been implemented this school year due to donations by friends and family to the Cardinal Commitment campaign. 

The campaign raised $20.6 million for facility improvements for Ball State athletics across the board. Ball State athletics sent out an updated brochure that featured seven of the facilities undergoing renovations.

Scheumann Stadium

There have been several updates completed, which include new turf, upgraded east stands brick wall and updated graphics.

The north end zone and west sideline walls will receive renovations, along with an expansion to the weight room and new LED lights, taking place over the next two to three years.

Venderly Football Center

Located just south of the Scheumann Stadium, the football center already has a completed roof, concrete floors and shell structure.

There are several improvements to be made in the next month. Late spring or early summer of 2016 still remains the tentative completion date as of now.

Worthen Arena

At the beginning of the academic school year, Worthen Arena featured new video boards, scoreboards and flooring. 

A few of the projects remaining include new lighting and lower-level seating.

Briner Sports Complex

Soccer, field hockey and track all compete at Briner Sports Complex, and the restroom project has been completed and is now fully functional.

Softball Field at First Merchants Ballpark Complex

The softball field features new dugouts and extensions, as well as new coaches' and umpires' rooms. 

A backstop adjustment is planned in November, and future plans include black painted roofs, a new press box, fan seating and an entry gate.

Ball Diamond at First Merchants Ballpark Complex

Numerous projects are planned for Ball Diamond, with several projects like new stands, press box, concession stands and restroom facility already completed.

For the near future the current plan is to paint the green roof tops and add slip-resistant rubber flooring in the dugouts for the players' metal cleats. New concrete planters will arrive in the next month as well.

Along with the softball team, a new indoor hitting facility and performance building with locker rooms are a possible project for the two teams who compete at First Merchants Ballpark Complex.

Basketball/Volleyball Practice Courts

While a location has yet to be determined for the practice courts, the planning group has been meeting every two weeks. Some of their discussions include exploration of the various options for additional locker rooms, sports medicine, strength and conditioning and meeting room space.

There is no current timetable for the building's completed construction.