Ball State professor invents monster spray

<p>DN illustration Stacie Kammerling.</p>

DN illustration Stacie Kammerling.

The thought of monsters hiding under the bed has plagued children for generations — enough to inspire films like “Monsters, Inc.” and “Little Monsters.” One Ball State professor is known for creating a possible solution to the things that go “bump in the night.”

Theresa Kruczek, an associate professor of psychology, invented the idea of “monster spray” in the 1990s. Monster spray is a do-it-yourself sweet-smelling substance released in a child’s room to keep imaginary horrors at bay.

The spray can be made in a variety of ways, Kruczek said. Prepackaged air fresheners with a new label over it are simple and convenient, but water with organic oil also works. Kruczek suggested using something that would smell good to a child, like vanilla.

“I use the line that monsters don’t like nice-smelling things. They like nasty-smelling things,” she said.

Kruczek developed the idea while working in Virginia with children who experienced trauma. One of her patients was a boy who had been abused and was haunted by nightmares of monsters.

The boy drew an item he called monster spray on a “protective sword” that would hang over his bed.

“I recommended to his mother that she put a label over the package of air freshener or something else sweet-smelling and spray it around his room,” Kruczek said. “I don’t know if it was the spray, the sword or a combination of the two, but it worked. He stopped having nightmares.”

The case study was never published, but it’s still the first hit on Google when her name is searched.

Kruczek mentioned her idea in a video Ball State created when she first joined the school’s faculty. She’s also discussed it with her classes and said “several hundred” counselors are aware of the idea.

Still, Kruczek isn’t the only one to come up with this solution to childhood nightmares.

In October 2013, Debbie Glickman appeared on an episode of “Shark Tank” and pitched a similar idea. While she didn’t get a deal from any of the “sharks,” she has kept her business running. Glickman sells her line of sprays, Fairytale Wishes, online.

The idea has “exploded” with the Internet, Kruczek said. She has seen the idea on several “mommy blogs.”

Kruczek has been asked several times to endorse others’ similar products, but she has yet to accept.

She never intended for this to become a business, she said — her business is therapy. This is just one of many things she’s used to help children, including her own.

“I used it with my oldest daughter in particular. It worked like a charm,” she said.

It sometimes helps to fight fantasy fire with fire, Kruczek said. Having something tangible, but also symbolic, helps combat fear.

Alice Ressler, a freshman actuarial science major, agrees with Kruczek’s idea.

“I think since it’s targeting one specific thing — monsters. It’s a really great idea that could work,” she said.

Kruczek stressed that the spray is not only a helpful tool around Halloween time — it should be used whenever a child is having trouble.

“It’s easy to do without spending a lot of money,” she said. “A trip to the dollar store is all it takes.”