SGA debuts Diversity Day

<p>Student Government Association is hosting their first Diversity Day to celebrate different backgrounds around campus.</p>

Student Government Association is hosting their first Diversity Day to celebrate different backgrounds around campus.

Schedule of Events:

10 - 11 a.m.: Latin Student Union has not unveiled its plans but will be located in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom.

1:45 - 3 p.m.: The Ethnic Theatre Alliance will be performing a “living museum” in the space between Bracken and University Theatre.

2 - 3 p.m.: Women in Business will ask students “What would you do if you weren’t afraid?” and encourage them to overcome their fears in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Pineshelf Room.

3 p.m.: Feminists for Action will hold SlutWalk down McKinley Avenue.

3 - 4 p.m.: University Democrats will register students to vote and discuss the importance of diversity in politics in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom.

4 - 6 p.m.: The Alliance for Disability Awareness will host a panel of students with various disabilities and discuss what life with a disability is like in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom.

4 - 5 p.m.: Hillel will present how Judaism is practiced around the world in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Pineshelf Room.

5 - 6 p.m.: The African Student Association will hold a drum circle and discuss diversity among African countries in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Pineshelf Room.

5 - 6 p.m.: Impact will discuss its organization and diversity in religion in L.A. Pittenger Student Center room 306.

An organizer of the Student Government Association's first Diversity Day said he wants to change the way people think of diversity and avoid the stereotypes. 

Drew Gaidosh, a sophomore interior design major, said as soon as he started working on organizing the event, his view on diversity changed after he started learning more about it. 

"When people think of diversity, they have a very cookie-cutter thought in their head of what diversity is, and diversity is so much more than what people expect it is," Gaidosh said. 

Gaidosh and Gabrielle Lloyd, a sophomore telecommunications major, organized the event, which was originally brought up by SGA President Jack Hesser. Nine campus organizations will be coming to showcase their diversity from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sept. 25. 

At first, Gaidosh said he wasn’t sure why the University Democrats would be considered a diverse group until someone reminded him the group represents political diversity.

“I want people to redefine the term Diversity Day,” Gaidosh said. “There’s some type of diversity in every single person that walks on this planet, and I just want students to see that.”

Lloyd and Gaidosh reached out to organizations over the summer, and nine said they were interested in participating: the Latino Student Union, Hillel, the African Student Association, the Ethnic Theatre Alliance, Feminists for Action, the Alliance for Disability Awareness, Women in Business, University Democrats and Impact. 

Lloyd said she was pleased with the participation and the excitement to spread diversity awareness.

“It doesn’t have to be a scary topic to talk about,” Lloyd said. “It can be fun. Talking about diversity can be fun.”

Each organization participating was able to decide what event they wanted to host themselves; they only needed to inform Lloyd and Gaidosh of their plans.

Hillel, a Jewish organization on campus, will present on the different cultural and spiritual practices of Judaism around the world. 

President Brooklyn Schreier said she is excited for the day because it gives organizations a chance to be heard when many people may not be aware they exist.

“I hope what people get out of my organization is knowledge about the Jewish culture that they did not know before,” Schreier said. “It’s important because sometimes people stereotype other cultures, and I want them to realize that we are not just a stereotype. We are a group of individuals with a common faith.”

Lloyd and Gaidosh said they hope Diversity Day becomes a semesterly thing. Both plan on helping to organize another day next semester if this one goes well. 

“I think how we did it worked well,” Lloyd said. “I also think we learned a lot through this first one that if we do it again ... we’ll change up some things.”