More than 2,500 freshmen move into dorms on campus

As freshmen move into the dorms to begin the next chapter of their lives, some are nervous, some excited. 

Students on the Premium Plan were able to move in Aug. 19, and new freshmen moved in Aug. 20. 

Marcus Jackson, freshman telecommunication major

Jackson was a part of the Accelerate program that allows freshmen to move in early and attend several speaker events.

"It forces you to meet people, it breaks you out of your shell. Like, some people I wouldn’t have talked to and now they’re my friend."

Brianna Labitzke, freshman biology major

Labitzke moved into Woodworth Complex Aug. 20.

"[Woodworth] is great … it has great food and I am living with my best friend. The only thing I don’t like is that it doesn’t have air conditioning."

Shannon Walker, freshman undecided major

Walker began her afternoon Aug. 21 by exploring campus and the Village with a few of her friends.

“I am really looking forward to Homecoming week, I, like, have always heard about stuff like the Mattress Races. I just like weird stuff like that.” 

Maggie Weeks-Foy, freshman undecided major

Weeks-Foy was assigned to Studebaker West and, along with all the other "traditional" newness of college, said she found one other thing she would have to get used to.

“[The biggest difference here] is that there is no one telling you what to do. My mom is like every other mom, she’s always telling me what to do, like clean up my clothes or whatever, and there isn’t anyone here doing that.”

Elijah Matthews, freshman business major

Matthews came from Chicago and said Ball State's campus was much different from his hometown. 

“I’m a freshman now, but I can walk across campus like I’m a senior because of all the Welcome Week programs they have. … It’s really cool.”

Antwain Windham, freshman psychology major

Windham had recently grabbed one of his first meals from the Noyer Center with his new meal plan.

“It’s a culture shock in some ways because everyone is nice and chill, not like back [home] in Chicago.”

Maggie Meyer, freshman undecided major

Meyers said moving in was far easier than she expected.

“[Moving in] was the best experience of my life. I thought it was going to be just me and my dad, moving everything but we pulled up and my car was unloaded in like five minutes.”

Nicole Chiabai, freshman biology major

Chiabai said she was using Ball State as a place to try out something new, hoping to find a place to stick. 

“I have always heard there was a good biology department, and it is just a good place to come and find out what exactly I want to do that is affordable.”