Offseason renovations begin at Ball Diamond

<p>Construction for the grandstands at Ball Diamond have started. The renovations is part of the Cardinal Commitment plan. <em>PHOTO COURTESY OF TWITTER</em></p>

Construction for the grandstands at Ball Diamond have started. The renovations is part of the Cardinal Commitment plan. PHOTO COURTESY OF TWITTER

New features of Ball Diamond

Press boxes

Grandstands

Changing areas

Team meeting space

Concessions

Landscaping

The changes will include a new grandstand, press box, concessions and restrooms, as well as new landscaping. Ball Diamond featured an all-turf surface and new dugouts for this season.

“The dugouts are great — the space we had — and the turf," head baseball coach Rich Maloney said. "They did it well and we’re very pleased with it.”

The softball diamond is also being renovated, and paired with Ball Diamond makes up the First Merchants Ballpark Complex.

The crew has already torn down the old grandstand since the home schedule concluded.

Maloney said the changes are "a long time coming," and it's been great to see how quick they are taking place.

Although most of the team's recruiting for next season is complete, the new facilities will help attract more players to Ball State. He said his staff did a nice job without the new renovations, but it would've been nice to have them sooner.

“This is really, really important to the future of the program," Maloney said. "It’ll help recruiting immensely. We can really feel good when we bring a recruit over there.”