University to bring new College of Health Sciences by Fall 2016

Potential programs in the College of Health Sciences

In October, Terry King, Provost and Vice President for Student Affairs, gave the Daily News a list of potential majors and programs for the College of Health Sciences.

Academic Programs

Athletic Training

Exercise Science

Gerontology & Wellness

Health Education

Health/Physical Education Teacher Preparation

Nursing

Nutrition & Dietetics

Radiography

Respiratory Therapy

Social Work

Speech Pathology & Audiology

Collaborating Programs

Health Service Providers in Psychology & Clinical Mental Health & Certified Rehabilitation Counseling

Counseling Psychology

Special Education

Communication Studies

Economics

Information & Communication Sciences

Telecommunications

Labs and Clinics

Communication Studies

Economics

Information & Communication Sciences

Telecommunications

Gastrointestinal Neurophysiology—Neuroimmunology Research Lab

Micro Imaging Lab

Neuropsychology Lab

Renal and Metabolic Research Lab

Psychoeducational Diagnostic Intervention Clinic

An academic task force aims to bring a new college to the university in Fall 2016.

The College of Health Sciences will incorporate various health majors, such as nursing, health education and exercise science, accounting for about 4,000 students. The final list of majors is not yet confirmed, but Terry King, provost and vice president for academic affairs, provided the Daily News with a preliminary list in October.

The academic planning task force for Ball State consists of a group spread across the university that examines what the academic programs will look like 15 to 20 years down the road. Mitchell Whaley, co-chair of the task force and professor of exercise science, said the task force’s job is complete regarding the proposed college.

“We have a task force that has been working over the past two years and they have made a recommendation for a new college to the provost and president,” Whaley said. “The next step for the provost is to take the recommendation to the university senate. That step could take place next fall [2016].”

Plans for a building to house the College of Health Sciences have not been finalized. The Indiana Legislature will decide whether to give Ball State the $52.5 million of funding required for a new building.

Whaley said the addition of the College of Health Sciences is not dependent on a new building. Even if the building is approved, it will not be finished in time for the planned opening of the new department.

“While we have the state to approve the building, it would not be done by Fall 2016,” Whaley said.

The new College of Health Sciences will further develop inter-professional education. It will encourage students to work together in the real world, Whaley said.

“This would allow our programs greater opportunity to collaborate on research and clinical applications,” King said.

Sophomore nursing major, Lynsi Davis, believes the new college could be helpful for students, but it depends on what type of learner they are.

“I prefer to study myself. But for people who like to work in groups, especially, it would be really helpful,” she said. “You would be able to incorporate different fields and learn more.”

Davis also said the new college could attract more health field students to Ball State because they know that they would have a good support system and program.

Whaley anticipates a number of students who are in health programs choosing to align with the new college of health.

“Other institutions that have created this sort of academic college have seen enrollment growth,” Whaley said.

There is not a confirmed list of academic programs on campus that would become a part of the College of Health Sciences, but King provided the Daily News with a potential list in October. The list included majors such as athletic training, nursing, radiography and social work.

There are plans for Cooper Science Complex to undergo construction in the distant future. King said it could be completely renovated, partially renovated or even torn down. Renovations for Cooper, as well as the planned College of Health Sciences building, were included in the university’s 20-year campus master plan.