Ball State defeats Western Michigan in 1st of 2 games

Senior catcher Jessica Craft reaches first base during the second game of the double header against Western Kentucky at First Merchants Ballpark Complex on March 21. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Pitching Statistics

Stat:             Hits       Earned Runs     Strikeouts

Steinbach      5                  1                      6

Pitching Statistics
Stat:
Hits
Earned Runs
Strikeouts
Steinbach
5
1
6

"I was really proud of our performance," head coach Tyra Perry said. "We attacked from the first pitch and stayed steady after."

Ball State took an early lead, scoring two runs in the first inning. Western Michigan cut the lead in half in the top of the second before Ball State's offense pulled away in the fourth.

The Cardinals scored four hits on four runs to put them up 6-1. They also tacked on another run in the bottom of the fifth.

Ball State picked up nine hits compared to five from Western Michigan. Senior Jessica Craft led the Cardinals, going a perfect 3-3 with two singles, a double and two RBIs. 

Sophomore Rachel Houck also had two RBIs from a pinch-hit double in the fourth inning. Senior Hanne Stuedemann, sophomore Shelbie Scamihorn and junior Sammi Cowger each recorded one RBI.

Along with the strong offensive performance, pitcher Nicole Steinbach added another complete-game victory to her season stats.

Last week's MAC West Division Pitcher of the Week threw 85 pitches in the game. She allowed five hits while striking out six batters.

"[Steinbach] has been phenomenal, and I really can't say enough about what she has been doing," Perry said. "She keeps being so reliable for us and performing each time she is out there."

Ball State improved to 22-20 on the year and move to 8-2 in the MAC play with the win.

Pitching Statistics
Stat:
Hits
Earned Runs
Strikeouts
Steinbach
5
1
6