The Caffeinery celebrates 1-year anniversary with slow bar demonstration

<p>The Caffeinery is a locally owned coffee and tea house by Frank Reber and his wife Lauren, not pictured. The business opened up its doors last year on March 17. <em>DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</em></p>

The Caffeinery is a locally owned coffee and tea house by Frank Reber and his wife Lauren, not pictured. The business opened up its doors last year on March 17. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

One of downtown Muncie’s businesses is hosting its one-year anniversary today, with specials and small events throughout the day.

Frank Reber and his wife Lauren opened The Caffeinery last year and so far, Frank Reber said business has been good.

“I think there was a need for it,” he said. “We stay pretty devoted to maintaining a certain level of quality.”

The Rebers described themselves as “freelance” people. Frank Reber said they wanted to maintain a stable job with a business, due to freelancing being on and off business.

The two are involved in music, recording engineering, teaching and photography.

STORIFY: The Caffeinery: a photogenic year

Both have family ties to local Muncie businesses. Frank Reber’s family currently owns Reber Machine & Tool, while Lauren Reber’s family owned The Music Room before selling the building.

Frank Reber said after hearing many people talking about not having a local coffee shop downtown, they just went for it.

Today the shop will be giving out free shots of Counter Culture Coffee’s Big Trouble espresso from noon until 2 p.m. He hopes to allow customers who have not tried espresso to experience it.

At 4 p.m., they plan on performing demonstrations on different brewing methods. Reber said the techniques include PressPot, AeroPress and Pour Over. They will also hand out samples of the brewed coffee.

He compared the slow bar demonstration to a wine tasting or crafting beer.

“I think it will be a good time,” Frank Reber said. “Depending on weather and other factors, I think it will be a great turn out."

He hopes to influence people's knowledge of how coffee is brewed and the different types of coffee with the brewing workshop.

Frank Reber said the company’s homemade methods are different compared to other shops because they feature the different tastes of coffee beans. They purchase the coffee as soon as they go on sale, due to different harvest times.

The coffee they are currently using is harvested from La Florida in Narino, Columbia, which includes hints of almond, apple and brown sugar. The farm is less than a half-hectare, or five thousand square meters.

With all the different coffees The Caffeinery showcases, Frank Reber said they embrace all different tastes from different farms.

He said they have considered opening a new shop but do not have any plans yet to do so.

“We pride ourselves on being current with the different techniques,” he said. “Everything we do, we always strive to be better."