Emergency Management finds no hazardous material on Student Center money

<p>Students were notified at 5:49 p.m. Wednesday about “potentially hazardous materials introduced to money found at the Ball State Federal Credit Union.” Emergency personnel investiaged the closed-off area. After that, an all-clear was issued. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</p>

Students were notified at 5:49 p.m. Wednesday about “potentially hazardous materials introduced to money found at the Ball State Federal Credit Union.” Emergency personnel investiaged the closed-off area. After that, an all-clear was issued. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Delaware County's Director of Emergency Management for Homeland Security said there was no threat Wednesday afternoon at the Ball State Federal Credit Union in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center.

The Delaware Co. Emergency Management team was dispatched to the site yesterday afternoon after a teller felt irritation on their hands after handling a money shipment, said university spokeswoman Joan Todd.

The public safety email account sent a notification to students at 5:49 p.m. saying police and Muncie Fire Department were investigating "potentially hazardous materials introduced to money found at the Ball State Federal Credit Union."

Emergency Management Director Jason Rogers said they tested the money in question, trying to recreate the effect with aerosol contact and liquid methods and could not reproduce the reaction the teller felt.

"Our tests indicated the teller had some sort of reaction to a common substance," he said.

He said their tests did not reveal any residue, discoloration or non-visible indicators of a hazardous substance.

The Hazardous Materials team was not called to the scene because it was not determined there were any hazardous materials.