Ball State provides help line for employees experiencing tax fraud identity theft

PHOTO COURTESY OF IMGKID.COM
PHOTO COURTESY OF IMGKID.COM

What is tax fraud identity theft?

Tax fraud is a means of identity theft through which thieves steal someone’s information and file a fraudulent tax return in the victim’s name. Through additional steps they claim the fake tax refund.

Is it just Ball State employees?

Tax fraud identity theft happens everywhere and the risk cannot be avoided completely, according to the Indiana Attorney General. Last year, the Indiana IRS reported 11 percent of all 2013 requested Indiana tax refund dollars were attempted identity theft.

How can someone find out if they are a victim of identity fraud?

1. Receiving a letter for the Indiana IRS even though you filed a return for 214.

2. Having state or federal tax return rejected because one was already filed.

3. Receiving an unsolicited Visa or MasterCard debit card in your name such as Green Dot, etc.

4. Checking the IRS’ tax return transcript

What can someone do if they are a victim?

1. File your taxes through the U.S. mail.

2. Confirm your 2014 state return if you have already filed.

3. Respond to any tax notices received via U.S. mail.

4. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

5. File a police report.

6. Check free credit report for fraudulent activity.

7. Consider freezes and fraud reports on credit.

8. Close any fraudulent accounts.

Is it connected to the Anthem security breach?

An email sent out to staff from Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer Bernard Hannon said ongoing analysis does not indicate Ball State systems were involved in the breach. The email cited a number of other recent data breaches, any of which could have contributed to the increase in tax fraud affecting Ball Sate employees. Much of the information needed to file fraudulent taxes, the email said, is available openly on the internet, such as salary.

Source: Email from Bernard Hannon dated March 9, bsu.edu/idtheft and ID Theft Prevention from in.gov.

After a number of Ball State employees experienced tax fraud identity theft, the university responded with a help line and online information service.

Starting March 9, employees can call the Identity Theft Information line, use the email or online information to help guide them through the process after identity theft, like filing a police report and how to file taxes.

The Daily News tested the line and the call was answered quickly.

A Unified Technology operator who could not provide their name said they are there to help employees work through the information on the web page.

“We can provide information,” the operator said. “We can’t do people's taxes for them but we can provide further information. There are so many things you have to do, so many steps you have to take. [We can help] figure out what’s the best step.”

The operator said they are keeping track of how many inquires the line receives.

Interim Associate Vice President of University Marketing and Communications Joan Todd said the university is keeping a record of employees who report they are victims. The university is not disclosing the number. 

“It’s personal information, we can only keep a record of the ones who want to tell us,” she said. “Yes, [we are keeping track], but with the caveat that we might not know how many were affected, if people decide to keep that private.”

Todd said some employees may not yet be aware they are victims of tax fraud, and the tax filing deadline is not until April 15.

An assistant professor of public relations and a victim of identity theft, Becky McDonald, said the site and help line are good first steps toward help from the university.

“Did I get help from the university? No,” she said. “Did I ask for [help]? No, because I was too worried [about everything else].”

Before she realized she was a victim, McDonald received a GreenDot prepaid card in the mail and did not think anything of it.

According to guidance put out by the Indiana Attorney General, receiving those cards is a warning sign of identity theft.

She checked her tax filing transcript through the IRS, and the second time she checked, she saw a fraudulent tax return had been filed.

That set in motion the process to fix the fraud, which has included contacting credit bureaus, filing a report with the federal trade commission and sending paperwork to the IRS, among other steps.

She worries she will be dealing with this problem for the rest of her life now that her social security number has been compromised.

“We’re just collecting information anywhere we can get it. Starting a file, adding to the file and trying to check off everything,” McDonald said. “I’m sorry for whoever has to go through this, it’s very unsettling.”

McDonald is not alone at Ball State. There have been reports about numerous employees victimized by identity theft and speculation that it is linked to the Anthem security breach that occurred on Feb. 5.

Muncie Police Department Sergeant Scott Sherwood in the records department said he has seen 50 reports for some type of tax fraud this year and another 18 reports filed online. Some of those may be duplicates of paper reports.

He said the attorney general has instructed victims to file with their local police department for possible future state or federal investigations.

Not all Ball State employees live in the Muncie or Delaware County area, he said. Employees who live elsewhere would file with their local police department.

Certified public accountant for Estep, Doctor & Co. Ben Smith helps Muncie citizens file their tax returns.

He contacted the Consumer Protection Agency and IRS after noticing an unusual number of their customers with affected returns were Ball State employees.

“It looks like we kind of have a rash of identity threat going on here,” Smith said. “For us, it’s just been a big pain for those who have been impacted. This year, it’s been kind of a storm of these fraudulent returns and a large portion seem to be coming from the Ball State community.”

He said taking the appropriate steps and getting their own tax return once someone is affected can take up to a few months.

The Identity Theft Information Line is 765-285-4883 and the email is IDtheft@bsu.edu. Additional information is available at bsu.edu/idtheft.

Alan Hovorka contributed to this story.