Home runs lift Cardinals to 2-0 start in conference play

Junior second basemen Emily Dabkowski hits against IPFW March 18 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex.  DN PHOTO MAKAYLA JOHNSON
Junior second basemen Emily Dabkowski hits against IPFW March 18 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex. DN PHOTO MAKAYLA JOHNSON

Ball State Offensive Statistics

Average - .294

Home runs - 27

RBIs - 165

Total bases - 376

The Ball State softball team used the home run ball to earn a 2-0 start in Mid-American Conference play as it looks for a fourth consecutive regular season title.

"The girls just relaxed and didn't worry about scores and just played the game," head coach Tyra Perry said. 

The Cardinals produced three homers in their two weekend wins over the Central Michigan Chippewas.

Senior Hanne Stuedemann and junior Emily Dabkowski each hit a three-run home run in the seventh inning of an 11-7 comeback win over Central Michigan in game one. Stuedemann hit another over the wall in the second victory of the day.

"The wins definitely gave us some momentum going forward and the team feels confident," Perry said.

Dabkowski leads a confident Ball State offense with eight home runs, while Stuedemann is second with five. Senior Jessica Craft has three.

Ball State leads all MAC teams in home runs this season with 27. The team also tops the conference in total bases with 376 and RBIs with 165.

The effectiveness of the home run ball has led to more walks also, as the Cardinals lead the MAC with 86 and 29 hit-by-pitch.

Despite the team's offensive statistics, Perry said she is concerned about in-game situations.

"We just go out in every game and play in the moment rather than look at the stats," she said.

The Cardinals have a 2-0 start in MAC play for the second time in the past four years. In 2013, Ball State started league play 12-0 before suffering its first defeat. 

As defending regular season champions, Perry said it puts a target on them, but motivates them to get back to the top spot with 21 MAC games left.

"The girls want to win and want to be back on top," Perry said. "So we don't worry about the pressure it puts on us, we will just take it game by game."