SGA slates discuss potholes, platform points in all slate debate

Student Government Association slates discussed and defended their platform points during the debate that took place last night at Pruis Hall. DN PHOTO ARIC CHOKEY

During the Student Government Association's full slate debate Tuesday night,  Atlas’s point of Pothole of the Month was challenged the most by the other slates, Momentum and Cardinal Direction.

Atlas was asked to explain if they had fixed any potholes yet and what they anticipate to be their biggest challenge.

Richu Aby, vice president candidate for Atlas, said the slate has chosen a pothole on Martin St. For the campaign, students have the opportunity to submit their own photos of potholes to be filled. She said they plan to fill the Martin St. pothole before campaigning is over.

“With this pothole platform, it sounds like you are taking credit for something the city of Muncie is actually doing,” said presidential candidate for Momentum, Quintin Thompson.

Aby responded,  “In no way we are taking credit from the city of Muncie, we partnered with the city of Muncie. I truly do admire the leadership and the compassion they have for this city.”

Jacob Cash, president from Cardinal Direction, said current vice president Bryan Kubel tweeted @MunciePotholes and the pothole submitted was fixed within 48 hours.

“I’m just curious as to why this initiative is different, it seems like it is taking more time than the system that is already set up?” he said.

President of Atlas, Jack Hesser, said the goal of the platform point is to ensure the minimum one a month on Ball State’s campus.

Cardinal Direction’s Dead Week point also drew discussion. Dead Week is when there is no homework or projects the week before finals to give students more time to study.

Brianna Kirkham, a junior journalism major and moderator of the debate, asked the slate if they thought there was enough student interest and what they would do differently. The idea was attempted by the university governance a decade ago.

“Everywhere we have visited so far talking about Dead Week, this is the one thing students can’t stop talking about,” Cash said.

He said the slate will build a campaign for Dead Week to make sure everyone knows it’s happening.

Hesser said he had spoken to Associate Provost and Dean of University College Marilyn Buck. She expressed concern with how to make Dead Week possible. Legislation would have needed to be passed in January.

“I was just wondering how you guys can process a Dead Week this fall?” Hesser said.

“We never said we would get it done by next fall, we said we want to make it happen," Cash said.

He said it might not be accomplished during their term but it would be approved and implemented the following semesters.

Each slate discussed which platform point they will work on first if they are elected Tuesday.

Hesser said they would like to continue Pothole of the Month and start Lunch on Board where students can have a free meal with the executive board and discuss ideas and concerns.

Dayna Arnett, treasurer from Momentum, said they would like to implement the International Buddy System point. 

She said they want students to feel like Ball State is a home away from home. They would also like to start the Bystander Intervention point to help students become more aware of sexual assault.

Wesley Crouch, vice president from Cardinal Direction, said they want to start on the Brighter Muncie campaign to install more streetlights around Ball State's campus. He said their main concern is student safety.

During each of the slates closing statements, Thompson’s statement drew a large crowd reaction.

“If you want no change to occur within our student government then vote for the two other slates, but if you are ready for students to serve students then vote for Momentum. “

The presidential debate takes place at 8 p.m. Thursday in the Art and Journalism Building room 175.