Redshirt sophomore works hard in offseason, earns scholarship

Redshirt sophomore forward Rocco Belcaster looks for an open teammate during the game against Toledo on Feb. 7 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Rocco Belcaster Statistics

Games played-started - 25-1

Minutes per game - 19.0

Points per game - 4.0

Field goal percentage - .320

3-point percentage - .305

Free throw percentage - .556

Rebounds per game - 2.2

The chances of getting an athletic scholarship to play in college are less than 2 percent.

Redshirt sophomore Rocco Belcaster walked onto the Ball State men's basketball team in 2012 as a freshman. After sitting out the 2013-14 season, he earned an available scholarship through a dedication to the program.

“He earned it through his work,” head coach James Whitford said. “I had one open for the second semester, so I thought it was a merit earned based on his efforts.”

During his freshman year, Belcaster only played two games all season, averaging just 2.5 minutes per game.

As a redshirt, Belcaster used the time off to develop his game. He gained 15 pounds of muscle while focusing on becoming a more reliable shooter.

He didn’t find it as a huge surprise that he was given a scholarship, seeing they had one left. He knew he was in perfect position with all the hard work he put in a season ago.

“I kind of [expected] it coming a little bit, but I just didn’t really think about it; then when it came I was so excited,” Belcaster said. “I’ve been working hard ever since I got here.”

In his first full season as a Cardinal, Belcaster scored a career-high 15 versus Grambling State on Nov. 24, the only time he scored in double-figures. He has played in every game, averaging 18.9 minutes.

His role on the team is more of a spot-up shooter — a player who can bring production from beyond the arc.

Whitford said his shooting numbers in practice drills are 15 to 20 points higher than they were a year ago.

Belcaster is shooting .321 for the season, but his teammates and coaches know once he finds his shooting rhythm he can help the Cardinals spread the floor.

He looks forward to contributing the rest of the season and working hard to earn major minutes on what will be a full active roster next season.

“[Belcaster's] going to have to work his tail off to continue to keep that role, because it’s going to get more competitive,” Whitford said. “But if he continues to make jumps like he has, I’m confident he can.”