World Cup roundup: NGA-BIH, GER-GHA, ARG-IRN (June 21)

Bosnia forward Edin Visca (19) is sent airborne by Ivory Coast defenseman Jean-Daniel Akpa Akpro in first-half action in an international friendly on Friday, May 30, 2014, at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis. (Chris Lee/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/MCT)
Bosnia-Herzegovina forward Edin Viš?a is sent airborne by Côte d'Ivoire defenseman Jean-Daniel Akpa-Akpro in an international friendly May 30 in St. Louis. On June 21, Nigeria eliminated Bosnia-Herzegovina from the FIFA World Cup. MCT PHOTO

Group F: Nigeria 1, Bosnia-Herzegovina 0

CUIABA, Brazil — Nigeria eliminated Bosnia-Herzegovina from World Cup contention with a 1-0 win, with Peter Odemwingie's first-half goal getting the African champions closer to the knockout stage.

Odemwingie sealed Nigeria's first victory at a World Cup since 1998 — spanning 10 matches — by finishing from close range in the 29th minute after one of a string of powerful runs by fellow striker Emmanuel Emenike. The result put tournament newcomer Bosnia-Herzegovina out of contention.

The Bosnians faded after a bright start, during which star striker Edin Dzeko had a goal contentiously disallowed for offside, and is still without a point in Group F following a 2-1 defeat to Argentina in its opener.

A draw would have given the Bosnians something to play for in their last group match, against Iran, but Dzeko had a shot tipped onto the post by goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama in the final few seconds.

"I don't have any recriminations," Bosnia-Herzegovina coach Safet Susic said. "They are all depressed, disappointed, silent."

Nigeria needs a point against Argentina on Wednesday to be guaranteed a spot in the Round of 16 — and a surprise win would secure top spot in the group.

Group G: Germany 2, Ghana 2

FORTALEZA, Brazil — Miroslav Klose rescued a point for Germany and equaled the World Cup scoring record in the process.

Germany was held to an entertaining 2-2 draw by Ghana and needed Klose's second-half equalizer to avoid another second-game letdown that has plagued the team in recent tournaments.

Klose now has 15 career World Cup goals, equaling the mark set by former Brazil star Ronaldo. He celebrated the goal with his trademark summersault.

"It was complete, but I can't remember the last time I did it," Klose said. "Still, 15 goals in 20 matches, that's not bad."

Just like in 2010, Germany won its opening game of the World Cup 4-0, but struggled in its second game. Four years ago, the team was beaten 1-0 by Serbia, and the Germans were on the verge of losing again today. The draw was good news for the United States, however, as the Americans would advance from the group if they beat Portugal on Sunday.

Klose scored the equalizer in the 71st minute, less than two minutes after coming on as a substitute, when a corner by Toni Kroos was flicked to the far post by Benedikt Hoewedes and the striker slid in to knock the ball into the roof of the net. He celebrated with his trademark summersault.

Ronaldo reacted with a tweet: "Welcome to the club #klose. I can imagine your happiness!!!! What a great Cup!!!?"

Germany took the lead when Thomas Müller sent a dipping cross toward Götze, who attempted a header but the ball bounced off his left knee into the net.

Germany's lead lasted only three minutes.

Ayew rose between Per Mertesacker and Shkodran Mustafi to head the equalizer inside the far post from a cross from Harrison Affu.

With the non-German side of crowd loudly behind the Ghana team, the African side kept putting pressure on the favored Germans. Gyan beat an offside trap by Mats Hummels and Mertesacker in the 63rd, ran into space and fired the ball past goalkeeper Manuel Neuer into the far corner to raise Ghana's hopes of an upset.

Both teams had late chances to grab the winner but Neuer and his Ghana counterpart Fatawu Dauda produced good saves.

Muntari picked up a late yellow card late in the match for his second booking and will miss his team's final group game against Portugal.

Group F: Argentina 1, Iran 0

BELO HORIZONTE, Brazil — Lionel Messi finally found a way through Iran's defensive wall with a superb goal in stoppage time to give Argentina a 1-0 victory and a place in the World Cup knockout stages.

Iran had defended solidly throughout the game and also took the match to Argentina in the second half, creating several chances to win the Group F match and cause a tournament sensation.

But Iran was punished for those missed chances when Messi picked up the ball about 20 yards out and smacked a shot into the left hand corner.

"In the first half, we had four or five clear chances to score a goal and in the second half, they complicated things for us with counterattacks," Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella said. "But having Messi resolved everything."

It was a moment of individual brilliance, and showed why Messi has been voted world player of the year no fewer than four times. Messi, getting a rare touch, quickly moved the ball toward his dangerous left foot and fired a curling shot just beyond the reach of the diving goalkeeper and into the left corner of the net.

"When I saw that I had scored, I was very happy because we were in added time already and wanted to qualify for the next phase," Messi said.

Up until that point, he had been kept quiet by Iran's stoic defending, while Argentina had at times been exposed to counterattacks.

"It was a difficult game, to be honest," Messi said. "They were able to close up at the back, so it was difficult for us to break down the defense. It was very hot for us."

Iran had several chances to win it, especially in the second half. The best of those opportunities came in the 67th minute, when midfielder Ashkan Dejagah's powerful header from close range was tipped just over the bar by Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero.

"We know that it would be a difficult, tense match," Romero said. "Thank God I could get my hand on the ball and it didn't go in.

"Messi then rubbed his magic lamp and we won."

Despite the defeat, after opening with a 0-0 draw against Nigeria, Iran can still hope to qualify for the second round. Nigeria plays Bosnia-Herzegovina, which lost its opener 2-1 to Argentina, later today.