U.S. judge strikes down Indiana ban, same-sex couples can marry

A student holds a sign reading "love is still love" during a protest on Feb. 14. The protest sought to bring attention to the issue of marriage equality. DN PHOTO ANDREW KELLY

Same-sex couples are now free to marry in Indiana, following a decision by a federal district judge today.

The ruling took effect immediately, allowing same-sex couples to receive marriage licenses in the state and immediately recognizes marriages granted in other states.

A representative for the Delaware County Clerk’s Office said the office didn't hear from the state's attorney general with the official word before they stopped issuing marriage licenses. The office issues licenses from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.

Workers were told they have to receive official word from the Indiana attorney general before issuing any marriage licenses, the representative said. The office has receive "quite a few" calls and inquiries about from same-sex couples looking to marry and the representative says they expect a lot of business when they finally receive word. 

Although the office doesn't have in-office weddings, ceremonies are available after 4 p.m.

U.S. District Court Judge Richard Young ruled that the state’s ban denies same-sex couples their Fourteenth Amendment right to equal protection under the law.

“In less than a year, every federal district court to consider the issue has reached the same conclusion in thoughtful and thorough opinions – laws prohibiting the celebration and recognition of same-sex marriages are unconstitutional,” Young wrote in his decision.

Marty Wood, an associate professor of physiology and health science, has been with his partner, Sam Crimmins, for six years and said today’s announcement has left him feeling excited.

Marty Wood and Sam Crimmins sit together in 2013 at Mo’Joe Coffeehouse in downtown Indianapolis. DN FILE PHOTO RYAN HOWE

“Elated, I guess, is one word to describe it,” he said. “I am overwhelmed by an avalanche of emails and congratulatory posts on social media. ... It is just a celebratory feeling.”

He said Indiana’s decision puts the country on the track to join other “civilized countries” in allowing same-sex marriage equality.

The feelings Wood is experiencing are less about him — although Crimmins and Wood have talked about it, they aren’t quite ready to make the life-changing decision — and more about striking a win for civil rights.

He said everyone is quoting a famous line by Martin Luther King Jr., “The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.”

“That is an apt quote,” he said.

Indiana’s attorney general spokesperson Bryan Corbin said in a statement that the office plans to appeal the decision and ask for a stay of the ruling, which would stop same-sex couples from marrying until the appeals process is finalized.

Gov. Mike Pence supports the office to appeal the ruling, said Kara Brooks, Pence's press secretary, in a statement.

“... [He] defends Indiana’s right to define the institution of marriage for the residents of our state," Brooks said in the statement.

However, Young wrote into his decision that a request for a stay of ruling is moot, which means Young's ruling will stand.

Brooks said in a statement that the state will comply with Young's order, despite the appeals process.

Although there may be some contention about the ruling within the state, that didn’t stop couples from lining up outside the Marion County Clerk’s office to receive marriage licenses.

According to The Associated Press, Marion County Clerk Beth White is offering short civil ceremonies for couples if they give a $50 donation to the Indiana Youth Group, a nonprofit benefitting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer teens.

White’s office is changing the wording of the online marriage license application from “bride and groom” to “spouse and spouse.”

If you know of a couple (with Ball State or Muncie ties) planning to apply for a marriage license, please contact the Daily News at features@bsudailynews.com.