Ball State student died over weekend, cause unknown

<p>Toby Wilt, a senior information systems and operations management major died Sunday. The cause of death is still unknown. </p>

Toby Wilt, a senior information systems and operations management major died Sunday. The cause of death is still unknown. 

The cause of death is unknown for a Ball State student who died Sunday.

Toby Wilt, a senior information systems and operations management major, died Sunday in an accidental death at home, said his father, Douglas Wilt.

Douglas Wilt said the results are not in yet, and he’s not sure what happened to his 23-year-old son.

“We are a mess,” he said. “He was my son. I loved him. He was a great kid. He was very likable — had a lot of close friends.”

Toby Wilt, from Lynn, Ind., had been at Ball State for five years and planned to graduate this semester. Prior to college, he attended Randolph Southern High School.

Douglas Wilt said his son was enjoying his final semester, especially with the guidance of one of his information technology professors.

He also said he appreciates the support his son’s friends gave him at Ball State.

“Just being special to him, it means a lot,” he said.

The family has not made funeral plans yet, but it will be private.

“He had a really big heart,” Douglas Wilt said. “He was a very special young man to a lot of people other than his family.”

Kay Bales, vice president for Student Affairs, released a memorandum dated Monday to the university, alerting 21 departments of his death.

“All of us at the university are deeply saddened by Toby’s passing and offer our deepest condolences to his family and friends,” Bales said in the memorandum.