BASEBALL: Ball State falls to Indiana, 10-1

Senior Kyle Raleigh gets ready to catch a ball in the outfield during the Eastern Michigan game April 5 at Ball Diamond. Raleigh has played in 29 games this season. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

All it took to end Ball State’s upset bid of 13th-ranked Indiana was a single bad inning.

Indiana used an error on Ball State catcher Sam Tidaback to jump out to a 1-0 lead after the first inning, and the Cardinals received a home run by senior Kyle Raleigh to even the score in the second.

Heading into the bottom of the sixth inning the Cardinals and Hoosiers were locked in a 1-1 pitcher’s duel.

Pitchers Clay Manering and Nestor Bautista combined to throw five strong innings, but things unraveled quickly for Ball State in the sixth.

Indiana sent 15 men to the plate in the sixth inning, with nine base runners crossing home plate.

Trailing by nine runs, Ball State was not able to come back, and the Cardinals’ attempt to knock off its second-ranked opponent of the year ended with a final score of 1-10.

Ball State’s next matchup is this weekend when the team travels to Mount Pleasant, Mich. for a three-game series against Central Michigan. The Cardinals trail the Chippewas for first in the Mid-American conference’s West Division, and this will be the only time these teams will face off during the regular season.