MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State alumni battle at IPFW

Sophomore outside attacker Marcin Niemczewski sets the ball during a match against Sacred Heart on Jan. 11 in Worthen Arena. Ball State swept the match, taking all three sets to end the game. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

When IPFW hosts Ball State on Friday night, there will be former Cardinals coaching from both benches.

Ball State alumni will lead both of the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association teams. Ball State head coach Joel Walton knows all too well the competition he’ll face in IPFW head coach Arnie Ball.

“Arnie has always been a competitor, from the time he was a player here at Ball State and all through his coaching career,” Walton said. “I’ve seen him get a lot of yellow and red cards, get tossed out of matches. He’s very passionate about what he does.”

The tenacious coach attended Ball State in the late 1960s, eventually winning a MIVA championship in 1971. On Friday, he’ll lead the Mastodons against his alma mater in the season’s first league match.

IPFW’s offense, hitting .364 this season, is ranked No. 1 in the MIVA. The match will be a tough test for Ball State’s inconsistent defense, but a road win could be beneficial.

“Any time you can go on the road and win a league match, it really helps you down the road,” Walton said. “It helps when you’re trying to get the highest possible seed in the MIVA tournament.”

The road win won’t come easy, as IPFW’s offense is one of the most balanced in the conference. Five players have at least 30 kills, led by Eddie Rivera with 39 kills.

The senior was named All-MIVA First Team last season after leading his team with 326 kills and becoming the Mastodons’ offensive anchor.

“IPFW likes to run a quick tempo offense, and they’re doing it well this year,” Walton said. “They’re playing fast to the pin and getting their middles involved.”

Ball State will try to counter offensively with Marcin Niemczewski. The sophomore outside attacker ranks second in the MIVA with 3.67 kills per set. He spearheads an offense filled with options like seniors Larry Wrather, Kevin Owens and Matt Leske.

But the biggest Cardinal threat won’t wear a numbered uniform. Ball will stand on the sideline coaching, just like he has for the past 34 seasons.

He will use the same lessons he learned when he was playing in a Cardinal uniform more than 40 years ago.

“Arnie competes, he thinks, he works hard at his craft and has done a remarkable job as coach,” Walton said.