Ball State reflects on lifeline law following IU death

Some Ball State students are thinking about the importance of lifeline laws following the death of an Indiana University student whose friends could have been protected by said law during the weekend.

Enacted in 2012 by the Indiana General Assembly, these laws allow underage individuals to call 911 for emergency help without fear of being cited for public intoxication, minor consumption or minor transportation of alcohol. 

“The idea is to get aid to someone that is in need,” Gene Burton, Ball State director of public safety, said. 

According to indianalifeline.org, in order to receive immunity, a person must provide their full name to law enforcement, remain on the scene and cooperate with authorities on the scene. The person receiving medical attention also can receive immunity.

Lionel Gaeta, a sophomore architecture major, said he once had to convince a friend to call the police even though they both were afraid of facing legal repercussions.

“If I don’t know what to do in that situation, I’m going to call someone who does,” he said. “I’m not an idiot.”

Burton said he believes student awareness is an issue, although it is a message that is included in all of the University Police Department’s professional speaker programs involving alcohol.

Kyle Smith, a sophomore telecommunications major, said he thinks the university should do more to promote the program.

“My thing is, it’s all about social websites,” he said. “Promote it [and] show awareness.” 

Burton said he wanted students to be assured that UPD officers are aware of the lifeline laws, although he couldn’t recall a time a Ball State student has invoked them.

Although giving immunity to students trying to help a friend is the focus of the law, Smith said he would help someone even if he would face legal trouble.

“It’s all about safety and health,” Smith said. “Everybody’s life is important, not getting in trouble.”

Alex Gawrys-Strand, a sophomore Spanish major, said although people should always do the right thing, stopping someone from having to make an ethical decision saves valuable time.

“If you are in a life or death situation, a moment means everything,” she said. 

An IU student died over the weekend when she fell down basement stairs and her friends and fellow partygoers failed to call emergency personnel for hours. 

According to The Associated Press article, the Rachael Fiege’s friends appeared to be aware of Indiana’s lifeline laws and did not call 911 because they didn’t realize the extent of her injuries.

Sophia Detwiler, a sophomore nursing major, said the death of an IU student made her think about what she would do in an emergency situation.

She said there is no question that she would have called the police if a friend or a stranger was hurt at a party she is attending, although she knows people who would put their fears above the safety of others. 

“It doesn’t matter if it was a stranger or a friend, or if I had any fears,” Detwiler said. “I would want people to [call police] if it were for me.”