MEN'S BASKETBALL: Scholl pursuing assistants, current and former head coaches for vacancy

Ball State men's basketball head coach, Billy Taylor, tries to help his team from the sideline against Teledo on Jan. 30, 2013. DN FILE PHOTO JACQUELYN BRAZZALE

For the past six seasons, Billy Taylor calmly patrolled the sidelines, hardly ever losing his cool with players or officials during the game.

While Taylor’s personality and demeanor drew respect from nearly every opposing coach in the Mid-American Conference, critics wondered if Ball State’s former coach had the intensity to push players enough for consistent success.

“I wouldn’t say Billy didn’t have fire, I just think every coach manifests it differently,” athletic director Bill Scholl said. “Everyone’s personality is just different and they get it done in different ways.”

With that in mind, Scholl said he isn’t looking for a more aggressive figure on the sideline, just someone who can consistently lead the university toward MAC Championships.

That person doesn’t necessarily need to play a certain style or have existing head coaching experience either. 

Scholl said he’s pursuing both assistants and former or current head coaches for Ball State’s men’s basketball position since the university fired Taylor on Thursday. 

“It’s a longer-term decision than fitting what we have on roster,” Scholl said. “What I really want is a coach with vision and a style of play that he commits, recruits and coaches to.”

Ball State’s best season under Taylor came in 2010-11 when the team finished the regular season 18-12 and 10-6 in the MAC. In the conference tournament, Ball State deafeated Ohio 76-73 in overtime but fell in the semifinals to Kent State the following night. 

This past season saw the team start slow, going 8-13 after a 69-42 home loss to Ohio. After the loss, however, Ball State would win seven of the last eight games to clinch the No. 5 seed in the conference tournament. Ball State suffered a 76-61 loss on the quarterfinals to Buffalo on March 13, ending its season.