MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Cardinals win in five sets again

Ball State still unbeaten after beating Grand Canyon

In a match filled with momentum swings, long rallies and long scoring runs, everyone held their breath in Worthen Arena until the final point was scored.

Senior setter Dan Wichman set a high ball over to the right side, fellow senior outside hitter Greg Herceg met it with his big left paw and sent a cross-court shot for one of his career-high 25 kills that won the match 3-2 (25-22, 25-12, 18-25, 23-25, 15-12) and induced an eruption of cheers from the crowd on hand.

For the second match in a row Ball State went the distance and won in five sets.

There was a sense of urgency on both sides of the net in the first set between the two teams, exemplifying the importance of the match for conference implications and demonstrating a budding rivalry.

The only break from the set was when freshman Bobby Renaud got himself ready to check-in. Renaud was told he was going into the match and took off his warm-ups. In all the excitement off entering his fourth set of the season, Renaud ripped off one layer too many and was left standing in his compression shorts, something his teammates found great enjoyment in.

Even though Grand Canyon outhit Ball State .235 to .200, the Cardinals took the first set behind the initial six kills of Herceg’s career day.

“We had to rely a little more on our outsides today, and I was ready,” Herceg said. “My shots were falling, I was getting lucky, and I was just trying to hit smart shots.”

The second set saw Ball State take its form and dominate Grand Canyon.

After recording just one block in the first set, the Cardinals recorded nine blocks in the second. Senior middle attacker Matt Leske recorded five of his career-high eight assisted blocks. Wichmann chipped in five more assisted blocks, and finished with a career-high of his own with seven.

Though Ball State dominated on the scoreboard, they showed signs of flaws that would hinder them for the rest of the match. Junior middle attacker Kevin Owens made several uncharacteristic errors, and even more uncharacteristically Owens showed his frustration through yells and hand claps.

Coupled with Owens’ subpar performance and their own talent level, Grand Canyon’s young middles sophomore Ryan Mather and freshman Christian Ward started to heat up.

In the third set, Grand Canyon finally showed life and played like the team the Ball State knew they were going to face.

“I think they’re definitely the best team we’ve played so far,” Owens said. “Our coaches even told us before the third set, get ready because they’re about to come out hot.”

The Antelopes jumped out to an 8-3 lead, and never let their lead go below five again. Behind their middles, Grand Canyon hit .269 to Ball State’s .152, and service pressure was highlighted as who would control the match.

“They switched their serving style in the third set and we never really recovered,” coach Joel Walton said.

After two lopsided sets, the fourth set was much more competitive, not only in scoring, but also in attitude. Ball State looked like they have more fun than anyone on the court this season, but there were not many smiles.

“It was starting to get a little chippy at the net,” Walton said.

Finally junior outside hitter Ben Ponnent registered one of his 11 kills to give Grand Canyon the 25-23 win.

Even after dropping two straight sets, Herceg said there was never any doubt within the team that it would win the match.

“We’re very optimistic, we’re always thinking just get this next point,” Herceg said.

The fifth set had six tie scores and four lead changes, personifying the passion and back-and-forth nature of the entire match.

With the score tied 9-9, Owens stuffed Mather going for his 13th kill of the match and sparked the last push of the match. The Cardinals closed on a 6-3 run, and won their closest contest this year.

After the match Walton offered his big middle words of encouragement.

“You didn’t play so well tonight, but tomorrow your going come out and show them what you can really do,” Walton said.

The Cardinals and Antelopes will play another match tomorrow at 7 p.m.