VOLLEYBALL FALLS SHORT

Cardinals go to overtime in four of five sets

Junior Jacqui Seidel sets the ball for senior Lisa Scott during the game against Central Michigan on Oct. 5. The Cardinals will take on Western Michigan on Friday and Northern Illinois on Sunday. DN FILE PHOTO EMMA FLYNN

Ball State rebounded with a road sweep over Eastern Michigan and a narrow five set loss (29-31, 25-23, 29-27, 24-26, 17-15) at the hands of Central Michigan after suffering an ugly 0-2 weekend at home just a week ago.

Saturday’s match against Central Michigan was as close as it can get as four of the five sets went into overtime. Ball State coach Steve Shondell said it was one of the closest matches in Mid-American Conference history.

It was a marked improvement coming mostly from the Ball State defense, Shondell said.

Ball State dug the ball well again, recording 84 digs after posting 87 the match before. Junior libero Catie Fredrich led the team with 24 digs.

Senior outside hitter Kara Bates tied for the team-high in kills with 16 but also added four solo blocks and four block assists.