MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State faces high-stakes match with Ohio State

Winning could vault the Cardinals past competiting teams in the MIVA

Ball State is long on issues and short on time.

No. 10 Ohio State lies next on the schedule in Ball State's last home match of the season on Sunday, and neither history nor recent play sides well with the Cardinals. 11 straight losses to the Buckeyes and problems on offense in most matches this season reaffirms that.

A heated race between Ball State, IPFW and Loyola to a top-4 seed in the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association Tournament has already started, so a upset win over Ohio State would help Ball State greatly in separating from the pack.

In such a difficult situation, freshman outside attacker Matt Sutherland is keeping his expectations realistic.

"If we win, it's big, and it'll put us up there in the numbers," he said. "I think it's really important to win it, but it's not a must, must win."

Whether the Cardinals win or lose, Sutherland should make his largest contribution of his career in the outcome. Coach Joel Walton confirmed on Wednesday that Sutherland has moved into the starting lineup as one of the team's left-side attackers. He'll replace freshman Shane Witmer, who has started in Ball State's last 16 matches.

After playing well in limited time through the past few weeks, Sutherland broke out on Saturday when he hit .444 on a career-high nine kills and 18 attempts. Walton said Witmer will still contribute in the team's bench rotation, possibly playing libero to add to his normal outside attacker duties.

The team's starter at setter this week is less certain. After junior Dan Wichmann made his first start of the season on Saturday, dishing out 48 assists to go along with six digs and six blocks, Walton said the coaching staff will decide this weekend who to start at the position. The battle is between Wichmann and usual starter Graham McIlvaine.

The change made at setter related to improving the tempo between the setter and the team's left-side attackers, which includes Sutherland, Witmer and junior Larry Wrather. In Wichmann's time leading the offense, Walton said he made that happen.

"I thought our left-sides had good balls to swing at," Walton said. "Matt Sutherland played a really good match. Larry, I think the three matches in a row kind of wore him down a little bit. We did start to move toward a more hittable ball to our left-side attackers."

Wichmann said while he had "pre-game jitters" before making his start, he quickly eased his way into the match. His main focus is to maintain a good level of play when he's setting.

"I just really try to be as consistent as possible," he said. "I know its the same with Elias [Aparcedo] and Graham, but I think consistency might be my best attribute."

Changes in the lineup haven't shifted Ball State's primary goal for the rest of the season. With offensive issues plaguing the team throughout the season, communication and consistency on offense were two areas players said would have to improve going forward.

A strong Ohio State squad will make sure Ball State is challenged in every way to obtain that on Sunday.

For more men's volleyball coverage, follow @andrewmishler on Twitter.

Event
Ball State vs. Ohio State
5 p.m. Sunday in Worthen Arena

Media
91.3 WCRD

Projected starting lineup
Middle attacker: Kevin Owens, Matt Leske
Outside attacker: Larry Wrather, Greg Herceg, Matt Sutherland
Setter: Graham McIlvaine
Libero: Tommy Rouse

Prediction
Ball State loses 3-1
This should be a competitive match since Ball State is playing its last home contest of the season. But that probably won't be enough against an Ohio State team that is already playing at a high level in the MIVA this season. Ball State is still trying to find its footing on offense, and unless it all comes together on Sunday, Ohio State should come out as the winner.