BASEBALL: Ball State to play Indiana State in non-conference game

Cardinals look to snap nine-game road losing streak to Sycamores

After taking two of three games from Mid-American Conference foe Miami over the weekend, Ball State (6-19, 4-2 MAC) will go head-to-head in a mid-week non-conference game with in-state rival Indiana State (15-10, 0-0) of the Missouri Valley Conference today.

Coach Alex Marconi will use a repertoire of pitchers versus the Sycamores, including freshman left-hander Nestor Bautista, who will get the start.

Bautista (0-3, 9.18 ERA) will make his eighth appearance and third start of the season.

In 16 2/3 innings of work, Bautista has collected 12 strikeouts to 10 walks.

Bautista was handed a loss in relief Saturday versus the RedHawks after allowing three runs on three hits in 2 1/3 innings of work.

The Sycamores will counter with senior right-hander Jason Van Skike (2-1, 3.31 ERA). Skike will make his seventh start of the season, and has worked a combined 35 1/3 innings thus far.

In his last outing on March 31, Skike pitched four innings against Rockhurst, allowing two runs on nine hits.

The bats for Ball State have warmed up lately and will look to get even warmer against the Sycamores.

Junior second baseman Mitch Widau leads the club with a .309 batting average and is second on the team in both hits, with 25, and RBIs, with 14.

Sophomore Blake Beemer is second on the team with a .269 batting average and has posted 21 hits this season for Ball State.

The Cardinals have lost nine straight road contests to the Sycamores. The last time Ball State won in Terre Haute was on March 19, 1991.

The Cardinals look to snap the drought in the 136th meeting all-time between them and the Sycamores.

First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Bob Warn Field.