MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Key plays in clutch leads to Ball State sweep

Marcus Imwalle attacks the ball over IPFW's Ben Duckworth during Ball State's three game sweep Friday night. Imwalle led the cardinals with 16 kills in the match. DN PHOTO/ JOSH PECKLER

As outside attacker Todd Chamberlain went to the serving line in game two with the score 35-34 and a chance for a game point, he finally saw the opening he needed.

With IPFW's libero cheating to his left side, Chamberlain said he decided to adjust his serve more toward the right corner, instead of making the safer serve to the middle of the court.

It was a gamble worth taking.

Landing just inside the out-of-bounds line and out of the reach of the libero, Chamberlain's game-winning ace gave the Ball State University men's volleyball team all the momentum it needed to sweep IPFW on Friday at Worthen Arena.

It was the only ace the all-conference player would get against the Mastodons.

"We needed that," Chamberlain said. "You don't want to give up that game when you are in a fight like that."

Chamberlain's ace ended the longest game the Cardinals have played this season. Ball State defeated IPFW 30-23, 36-34, 30-23 for its fifth straight sweep.

Coach Joel Walton said he was pleased Chamberlain got the game-winning ace in overtime during the second game. He also said it was not surprising Chamberlain stepped up when Ball State needed a big play after it failed to convert on its four previous game-point attempts.

"He was good," Walton said. "He made big plays for us at critical times."

Ball State (6-4, 2-0 Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association) had two players finish the match with more than 10 kills. Outside attacker Marcus Imwalle had a match-high 16 kills and Chamberlain had 13 kills.

With Ball State out-hitting IPFW .300 to .134, Chamberlain said the entire offense was effective in the sweep.

Middle attacker Andy Nelson said it was fitting Chamberlain had the big kills because the senior had fully emerged as the team leader during the last two weeks. He also said Chamberlain was the most exciting player to watch in the match against IPFW.

"He's crazy," Nelson said. "It's so fun to watch him just fly from the back row."

Nelson replaced middle attacker Matt McCarthy in the starting lineup. McCarthy, a 2008 First Team All-MIVA player, did not play because of a stress fracture in his back and is listed as day-to-day with the injury.

Walton said he was impressed with the defense as Ball State finished the match with 11 blocks, including eight in the first game.

In addition, libero Billy Ebel had 18 digs to set the school record for most digs in a three-game match during the rally scoring era. Former Ball State libero Ian Peckler previously held the record with 17 digs in a sweep against St. Francis University last season.

"It's an honor," Ebel said. "I like to be the backbone of the defense."

Chamberlain also said he was happy with the overall team performance.

"We played good," he said. "Everything we did pretty well. We hit good numbers and digged well."

With this win, Ball State and No. 15 Ohio State University remain the only two MIVA teams that have undefeated conference records. Ohio State swept No. 14 Loyola University on Friday in Columbus, Ohio.

Ball State's next match will be against Loyola starting at 7:30 p.m. at Worthen Arena.

Chamberlain said the team would be prepared for its second conference match of the weekend. After the night he had against IPFW, the outside attacker also said he is looking forward to getting back on the court.

"Just need to get some sleep and come back [Saturday]," he said.

For more men's volleyball coverage, continue to check bsudailynews.com.