Men’s golf flies high

Ball State Men's Golf takes first at Butler Invitational.

Muncie, INDIANA --- Ball State Men’s Golf finished on top at the Butler Invitational March 28th, winning by 26 total strokes with the top three players all being Cardinals. Following a first-place finish and 199 strokes on a 210-par course, Freshman Carter Smith won Mac player of the week.

After getting first, Smith is happy to get his game back in full swing.

“I’ve kind of been on the struggle bus a little bit and its been a matter of putting everything together whether one week struggling off a tee, one week struggling putting. It was nice to finally have a good week,” Smith said.

As Smith gets recognition, Coach Mike Fleck looks forward to Smith building confidence in his game. He hopes that the confidence Smith gained will carry over as momentum to the rest of the team for their next tournament.

“Obviously he’s playing with confidence right now and if we can have you know him and his teammates playing with confidence and playing well, you know I think good things will continue to happen for our program as we move through the spring,” Fleck said.

Coming up next for the Cardinals, the Mason Rudolph Championship at Vanderbilt University. As the men look forward to the tournament, Coach Fleck reminds them to take each game one stroke at a time.

“You gotta hit the reset button and get ready to start a new adventure and get ready for the next event,” Fleck said.

Carter Smith looks to keep his confidence going into this next tournament and keep getting better.

“Like I said, trying to do the same thing that I’m doing, and take it one shot at a time and keep grinding,” Smith said.

Fleck and the squad will be in Tennessee April 10 through April 12 looking forward to try to claim another win on the road.

Contact Maxwell Robson with comments at maxwell.robson@bsu.edu