Wapahani Volleyball wins Class 2A State Title

The Raiders defeated the Linton-Stockton Miners in four sets on Saturday.

MUNCIE, Ind.---Over the weekend, a group of girls got to go down in history. The Wapahani Raiders won their sixth state title in school history at Worthen Arena.  

Leading up to the game-winning moment, senior defensive specialist Reese Baker feels as though all the work from the regular season helped lead up to the victory.

“It was very heartwarming,” Baker said. “For all of the stuff that we put in, all of the workouts, it finally got rewarded for us so that was nice.”

Along with Baker, senior middle blocker Camryn Wise also appreciates the work that was put in by her team all season.

“All the hard work that we put in, just goes to show that we deserved to win that game,” Wise said. “I just felt happy, and the feeling was immaculate. I was just so proud of my teammates and my coaches, and I just felt so blessed and thankful.” 

The Wapahani Raiders finished this season with a 32-5 record. The team was led by fourth year head coach Kati Weir, who is now a first-time state champion as a head coach. 

“The biggest thing is that (the team) never went into a match underestimating a team,” Weir said. “That is so important to embrace as an athlete to be prepared to grit out every match as an athlete no matter what they look like or how they match up against you. So, their perseverance and grit ultimately got them here.”

As their times at Wapahani High School may come to an end, Baker and Wise will continue to play volleyball at the next level. The two are committed to play once again inside Worthen Arena for the Ball State cardinals next fall. 

“I am so excited, I cannot wait,” Wise said. “I’m just so blessed and thankful that I got to finish here and I’m going to start here.”

“I’m really excited,” Baker said. “Ball State is doing really well right now, so it’s nice to go from a winning team to another winning team.”

Being in Delaware County, the team appreciates the support that friends and family have given to Wapahani all season long.

“I’m just so happy,” Wise said. “We have a great community behind us. So, to be able to bring this home for them feels great. I’m very thankful.”

The Wapahani Raiders will look to repeat as state champs when the team takes the floor once again next fall. 

Contact _Zach Greer_ with comments at _zcgreer@bsu.edu