Just a day before the Pope was scheduled to start a month long synod on family, marriage, divorce, and same-sex relationships, Vatican priest Krzysztof Charama announced that he was gay and introduced his partner, Eduard, to reporters. He was fired later that day from his position in the Vatican’s doctrine office. In his statement to the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera, Charama said “I want the Church and my community to know who I am: a gay priest who is happy, and proud of his identity. I’m prepared to pay the consequences, but it’s time the Church opened its eyes, and realized that offering gay believers total abstinence from a life of love is inhuman.” In response to the timing of Charama’s very public coming out, Rev. Federico Lombardi said, “Very serious and irresponsible, since it aims to subject the Synod assembly to undue media pressure.” Though people were already waiting to see what the Pope had to say on same-sex relationships and marriage, this announcement came as a surprise.

Pope Francis seems to take a step back from his revolutionary views from two years ago when he said “If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?” (Danadio) The Pope addressed same-sex relationships in his opening statements of the Synod on Sunday saying “This is God’s dream for his beloved creation: to see it fulfilled in the loving union between a man and a woman, rejoicing in their shared journey, fruitful in their mutual gift of self. A Church with closed doors betrays herself and her mission, and, instead of being a bridge, becomes a roadblock.” (Kaplan) One would think that if the Church didn’t want any roadblocks, it would be inclusive to members of the LGBTQIA community. How many church members are living their life full of lies and sorrow because they feel that lying and hiding who they are is better than being gay? How many of those souls are willing to commit the sin of suicide over the “sin” of being gay? Charama turned his entire life upside down to be truthful with his self and the world. How can that be wrong?

It is still unknown if Charama will be stripped of his robes but it seems likely. Even if the Vatican could overlook Charama’s very public self-outing, he still took a vow of celibacy and most would assume he has had relations with his boyfriend. There will be an investigation and the findings will be turned over to the Congregation of Doctrine Faith. Charama’s statement was one about honesty and standing up for himself. Now let’s hope that he doesn’t lose everything important to him for that.