Wapahani boys’ basketball moves on to semi-state

SELMA, Ind. — Few things are more special to a small town than high school sports, and that's no different in Selma. The Wapahani boys' basketball team has been putting on a show this season behind one of the best players the county has ever seen.

"We have a captain and scoring leader and a guy who makes a lot of plays for us in Isaac Andrews; at the same time, it's not a 1-on-1 game, so we talk to him and the rest of our team about being good role players but also willing to make the right play and the smart play,” said head coach Matt Luce.

That smart play led to Andrews breaking the Delaware County scoring record for sixty years, but Andrews has been able to expertly deal with the pressure.

"I mean, there's always pressure when it comes to being on the basketball court, but just embracing the moment, enjoying it, taking it all in—I think that eliminates most of the pressure," said Andrews

At the beginning of the season, Andrews wanted to step up and work hard, and head coach Matt Luce said he's done just that.

"Isaac's best attribute and best compliment is how hard he works in practice. He's the same every day in practice and every day in games. He's very consistent, treats people right, and is a very good student and good athlete," said Luce.

The Raiders defeated the Tipton Blue Devils 65-41 in the state regionals last weekend and Andrews believes that win shows they can beat any team.

"I mean, it was just a great game for us. We came out, we executed in that third quarter, and if we just keep playing our game, I think we'll be in good shape,” said Andrews.

Andrews and the rest of Wapahani will face the North Judson-San Pierre Blue Jays at the Marion Crawley Center in Lafayette this Saturday, March 16, in the first round of semi-state.

Contact Aiden Riegle with comments at aiden.riegle@bsu.edu