Student Government Association hosts Auxiliary Services presentation, elects senators for Chief Administrator and Treasurer positions

Karen Adkins, the senior executive director of auxiliary services for university food, beverage, conference services and special events, gives her presentation on dining hall sustainability March 20 at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. Meghan Braddy, DN

During the March 20 meeting, the Student Government Association (SGA) hosted special guest Karen Adkins, the senior executive director of auxiliary services for university food, beverage, conference services and special events. 

Adkins gave a presentation on the university dining initiatives her office is currently working on, with a particular focus on sustainability. She discussed a three-pronged sustainability plan her team has been analyzing to assess the environmental, social and economic impact of various sustainability opportunities on campus.

“Sustainability boils down to personal responsibility,” Adkins said. “It's all of our responsibilities to make sure that we're doing things to protect our environment.”

During special orders of business, the senate elected the new treasurer and chief administrator for the 2024-2025 school year.

Up first to make their pitch for chief administrator was Sen. Hunter Case. He’s been a part of SGA since 2022. As Vice President of College Democrats, he believes he’s most qualified since he “has experience in several secretary roles, as well as leading committees.”

He hopes to bring some initiatives to the position, including ensuring a fair process for the Student Trustee position, introducing weekly survey meetings to get continual feedback to help constituents, and more. 

Case was approved for the position with 34 yays, one nay, and two abstentions. 

The following presentation came from Sen. Shaina Miller, who made her pitch about why she would be a good fit for the treasurer position. Miller believes she’s qualified due to her “treasury experience” from her Public Budget and Finance and Grant Proclamation and Administrator classes. 

Some things she wants to bring to the table are creating a budget narrative, having a new senator budget workshop, recentering bylaws, and more. 

Sen. Casey Rockel then presented why he would be a good treasurer. He has been a member of SGA for three years and believes he’s qualified for the position because he’s a finance committee member and has already had to “budget and allocate money as an academic peer mentor (APM).”

Rockel’s most important goal as a Treasurer would be to implement a budget request inquiry form so senators can be directed to the right people when inquiring about their requests.

Rockel received the majority vote and was elected into the position. 

Senators Shaina Miller, Skylar Ellis and Noah Clark were nominated for the President Pro Tempore position. Elections will be held for these positions at next week’s meeting, Mar. 27. 

Special orders of business ended with a budget request, in which Case asked for $115 for plastic eggs and candy for an egg hunt for the students at Ball State. 

The request was approved with 35 yays, one nay and one abstention. 

President Joseph Gassensmith was in attendance and gave his executive report. He announced the edition of safety resource signs on campus that include contact information for the University Police Department (UPD), Health Promotion and Advocacy (HPA), 24/7 Crisis Line, and Counseling Center. 

“When I asked you [the senate] in February who knew the UPD phone number, and there wasn't a single hand, that shows that awareness about Ball State safety resources is needed,” Gassensmith said. 

The meeting was adjourned with no new or unfinished business to vote on.

Contact Meghan Braddy with comments via email at meghan.braddy@bsu.edu or on X @meghan_braddy.