Delta high school searches for semi-state championship

MUNCIE, Ind. — Delta basketball has a chance to do something special this season. The Eagles have advanced to semi-state for the second year in a row and look forward to rewriting history and going to state for the first time since 2002.

“We stayed committed to each other, when things got tough while we faced adversity in the regional game. We planned to stay together, and we came together in the end,” said senior forward Jackson Wars.

Following a close 39-37 victory over Fort Wayne Concordia, Jonny Manor looks past their struggles and looks to keep getting the job done.

“You know, last year, we went there and came up one game short. All off-season, we have been thinking about that,” said senior guard Jonny Manor.

Delta is 22 and 6 this season and on a 9-game winning streak entering semi-state led by seniors D'Amare Hood, Jonny Manor, and Jackson Wars. Although they light up the stat sheet on offense, their defense has been on lockdown.

“Defensively, we have been really good; we were one of the top 10 in the state in terms of our defense average. We held guys in the 20’s and 30’s almost every game in the last month,” said coach Mark Detweiler

“I think it would mean a lot; there is a lot of buzz around school right now and around the community. Everyone wants us to get there and we have aspirations to get there so that it would mean a lot,” said senior forward Jackson Wars.

This Delta team will have a banner in mind as they take on Fairfield this Saturday, March 16th, at noon in Logansport for semi-state.

Contact Jacksen White with comments at jacksen.white@bsu.edu.