Top-ranked Cardinals fall to MAC foe Western Michigan

MUNCIE, Ind. (NewsLink Indiana) —After winning their last seven games in a row, Ball State Gymnastics fell to the Western Michigan Broncos this past Saturday. However, Coach Joanna Saleem and her squad won’t let one meet shake the confidence.

The meet started off with Western Michigan taking an early lead, but the Cards came flying back into the match scoring a 49.175 on the floor, and four scores of 9.800-or higher in the final rotation.

However, the late meet heroics would prove too little too late as the Broncos would go on to win 195.950 to 196.025. When asked about what she felt the team could have done better, Coach Saleem did not hold back on how she felt her team could have done. 

“We have a lot of conversations about what we have control over, and at the competition last weekend there were a few things we should adjust as we are heading forward like coming out and being aggressive coming out from the very first routines, not trying too hard, and getting caught up in the distractions…if we are doing those things the win-loss category will take care of itself,” Saleem said.

Despite coming off a loss, the Cards are still in first place in the MAC and ranked 21st in the latest national rankings. Ball State will head out to the nation's capital to take on George Washington University March 1 at 7:00 pm.

Contact Zander Woods with comments at zander.woods@bsu.edu