SGA Vice President nominees face off in debate

Each student will receive a ballot in their Ball State email to vote starting Feb. 18.

<p>Ball State University Student Government Association (SGA) Vice Presidential candidates discuss their qualifications and platform points, Feb. 15 at L.A. Pittenger Student Center. Meghan Braddy, DN</p>

Ball State University Student Government Association (SGA) Vice Presidential candidates discuss their qualifications and platform points, Feb. 15 at L.A. Pittenger Student Center. Meghan Braddy, DN

On Feb. 15, at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center, the final debate of Ball State University's Student Government Association (SGA) vice presidential nominees took place.

The candidates addressed the public and clarified their campaign points from in the last three debates.

In the first two debates, the candidates discussed their campaign platforms and the policies they would implement if elected President. 

In the final debate, they focused on the role of the Vice President and their position-specific platform points. 

During the debate, a question was asked about each ticket's key running points. According to the responses, the "Adams and Angel" ticket, represented by Angel Esquivel-Vazquez as the Vice Presidential nominee, emphasized the need for transparency. 

On the other hand, the "Elevate" ticket, represented by current SGA president pro tempore Brenna Large as the Vice Presidential nominee, focused on improving student safety. 

The key points above comprise only a portion of each ticket's platform. 

During the debate, the moderator posed various questions to both tickets. These included topics such as their qualifications, the senate’s primary objective, current issues, methods to enhance awareness of the importance of their role, and more.

During the debate's Q&A session, an audience member asked Esquivel-Vazquez about his previous experience with the Senate. 

“Can you share how many senate meetings you’ve attended and also walk me through everyone here through what a typical senate meeting looks like?” said Monet Lindstrand, the current vice president of SGA. 

Esquivel-Vazquez said that he had not attended a senate meeting before. 

“While that may have a negative effect on me for sure as to not being able to attend these meetings, it unfortunately just hasn't been able to fit with my current schedule as it stands,” Esquivel-Vazquez said. 

He emphasized that despite this, he’s still doing his “due diligence” by conducting research and trying his best to be involved in SGA even when he’s not. 

“While I don't understand or know completely the senate meeting from beginning to end, I know that there's an agenda,” Esquivel-Vazquez said. 

One point that both tickets could agree on was the need for updated accessibility and safety measures from disability services. 

They both emphasized the importance of replacing buttons on automatic doors that currently aren’t working, redoing ramps that are worn out, and repaving uneven sidewalks.

Building off this, Large also discussed the importance of “commonplace accommodations” in every classroom. 

“Things like subtitles on videos and recorded lectures are sometimes a necessity for students with disabilities, but can benefit all students,” Large said. “So you just miss a day of class because you have the flu, you will be able to come in and be able to access the same material as your classmates that were in the class session.”

Large also mentioned increasing sexual assault awareness and resources on campus, as well as educating students on the legislative branch of SGA. 

Esquivel-Vazquez discussed adding places of prayer and worship for each religion on campus so students like those from the Muslim Student Association have a “proper place to pray.” 

According to Angel, this will allow students to “practice religion in a way they feel free to.”

Angel also mentioned increasing transparency regarding where and when people can park in lots on campus and dining hall prices. 

According to the SGA elections website, online polls open on Feb. 19 at 8 a.m. and close on Feb. 20 at 5 p.m. 

Every Ball State student will have a ballot sent to their student  email with the opportunity to vote. 

Contact Meghan Braddy with comments via email at meghan.braddy@bsu.edu or on X @meghan_braddy.