TNS: Several people injured in shooting near Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl victory rally

KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI - FEBRUARY 14: Law enforcement and medical personnel respond to a shooting at Union Station during the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl LVIII victory parade on February 14, 2024 in Kansas City, Missouri. Several people were shot and two people were detained after a rally celebrating the Chiefs Super Bowl victory. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

Robert A. Cronkleton

The Kansas City Star

(TNS)

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Several people have been shot after gunfire erupted during the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl victory rally Wednesday, a police spokesman said.

“At the conclusion of the rally there were shots fired west of Union Station near the garage, and several people were struck,” said Capt. Jake Becchina, a spokesman for the Kansas City Police Department.

Officers have detained two armed people for more investigation, Becchina said.

“We need people to exit the area as quickly and safely as possible and avoid the parking garage in order to facilitate treatment of shooting victims,” Becchina said.

The police department said on X, formerly known as Twitter: “Shots have been fired around Union Station. Please leave the area.”

A White House official told McClatchy and the Kansas City Star that the administration was aware of the developing events. “We are closely monitoring this incident, and federal law enforcement is on the scene supporting local law enforcement,” the official said.

The FBI told McClatchy and the Star that it “had a presence at the parade today and is providing law enforcement assistance to the Kansas City Police Department.”

It was uncertain how many victims were hit by gunfire, but scanner traffic indicated that there might have been as many as 10 people shot.

When gunfire erupted, the crowd began to scatter as people took cover.

Sam Castro, an 18-year-old University of Kansas student from St. Louis, said he saw people running out of Union Station a little before 2 p.m.

“We just got here, so it’s kind of crazy,” he said.

One parade goer said he heard a single shot near a security post east of the stage.

“It was someone within feet of me,” said Shawn Grew, 46, of Garden City.

His daughter, Alyssa, 21, had gotten into Union Station and he was still waiting.

A couple from Phoenix, who gave their names as Lupe and Brian, said the program had wrapped when they saw people run out of Union Station.

The couple, who were standing on the southeastern side of Union Station, said they then heard a single gunshot and ducked behind a nearby tree.

“One single pop and that’s when everybody hit the floor,” Lupe said.

John O’Connor of Kansas City said he thought he heard 15-20 shots left of the stage.

“I though it was fireworks,” O’Connor said. “It sounded like a ton of very rapid succession, very quick shots.”

People scattered and there was a lot of confusion when the gunshots were fired, O’Connor said. He ran into the garage with others. He said it sounded like police were securing Union Station because he heard there might have been some return fire from someone else.

Gabe Wallace, a sophomore at Shawnee Mission East, heard the gunshots and hopped a barricade, scraping his head on the concrete. He lost track of his friends.

On what he was thinking? “My friends are dead.”

Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly was among those evacuated from the rally site, later posting on X that she was out of harm’s way and encouraged everyone to follow instructions and updates from the police.

Earlier, two people were shot near 27th and McGee streets, according to Officer Alayna Gonzalez. The victims were said to have non-life-threatening injuries.

_____

(McClatchy chief Washington correspondent Michael Wilner contributed to this story.)

_______

©2024 The Kansas City Star. Visit at kansascity.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.