Delta boys basketball routes Rushville at the tail end of season

MUNCIE, Ind. (NewsLink Indiana) - The sun is setting on another IHSAA boys basketball regular season with the postseason about to tip off. The Delta Eagles squared off against the Rushville Lions in a non-conference matchup on Feb. 13. 

Delta boys basketball head coach Mark Detweiler spoke on how the game panned out. Detweiler believes that this type of competition is helpful for his squad in continuing to grow their craft and game. 

“Rushville is a team that likes to control the tempo, so we had to continue to press and extend our defense to get the tempo where we wanted it,” Detweiler said. 

That style of stifling defense seemed to work in the Eagles' favor. After a dominant first half, the Eagles obtained a commanding 21-point lead. Although they had a great lead, Detweiler saw it as preparation for the upcoming postseason that is right around the corner. 

“It is good to see that, because you are going to see that in the tournament, teams are going to try and have long possessions,” Detweiler said. “Teams are going to try and take the air out of the ball a little bit.”

Now, Detweiler is just the conductor of this freight train, where star senior D’Amare Hood is one of the main fuels keeping this team on track. 

Hood led the team in scoring with 16 points and on the year averages 18.4 points per game, 5.4 rebounds per game and an impressive 3.1 steals per game. 

“He’s active. He’s got great length and even tonight he was aggressive early and got us going," Detweiler sad.

In the end, the Eagles soared high over the Lions in a 50-27 victory.

Contact Jayce Miller with comments at jayce.miller@bsu.edu