Muncie Burris falls to Cowan on homecoming

David Moore, DN
David Moore, DN

Cowan traveled to Muncie Burris for a matchup of in-city rivals. It was homecoming night for Burris. Cowan defeated Burris by a final score of 76-50. 

The Blackhawks started the game by hitting their first five 3-pointer attempts. They quickly jumped out to a 15-5 lead and led the rest of the game. At the end of the 1st quarter, they led 20-9. They also led 48-22 at halftime. 

Cowan pulled its starters midway through the third quarter. Cowan was led in scoring by Senior guard Mason Kidd who scored 19 points with three made 3-pointers in the game. Timo Minnich Led the Owls with 12 points and four 3-pointers.

The Blackhawks have 7 seniors on the team. All of them helped Cowan jump out to the early lead allowing Cowan to put in the bench for the whole 4th quarter. 

“You want that good leadership,” Kidd said. 

The Blackhawks coach Aaron Groves commented on the importance of the senior leaders.

“Seniors are big every night, whether it’s practice or a game,” he said. “Our seniors do things well and do things right.” 

Burris doesn’t really have very many people who can step up and be a leader on the court, head coach Blair Broussard said. 

“There becomes a point in time throughout a basketball season where you have to find a leader that’s going to be a leader on the floor and that’s got to be an extension of the coach,” Broussard said. 

He said that they didn’t have anybody on the team to guard and compete with Cole Duncan in the paint. 

“You can’t coach height and our concern was we minimize Duncan’s impact on the court and I felt like we did that,” Broussard said. “That’s the hill we chose to die on.”

Burris falls to 1-8 on the season while Cowan moves to 4-7 on the season. Burris plays again tomorrow against South Adams. While Cowan faces Seton Catholic tomorrow.