President Mearns to be in attendance for Board of Trustees Meeting, Commencement despite ankle injury

Ball State University President Geoffrey Mearns holds up a 'chirp, chirp' sign with Charlie Cardinal in a YouTube video inside Bracken House. Mearns confirmed in the video, which published Dec. 13, that he had dislocated his left ankle and fractured it in three places over Thanksgiving Break. Ball State Marketing and Communications, courtesy

Ball State University President Geoffrey Mearns confirmed Wednesday an ankle injury that he sustained over Thanksgiving break.

"I actually dislocated my left ankle and fractured it in three places playing ping pong with my son in the basement here at Bracken House," Mearns said in a YouTube video posted Wednesday. "The good news is, I am pleased to report I am on the mend."

The Daily News contacted Greg Fallon, associate vide president of University Communications and Digital Strategy, Sunday afternoon regarding the president's injury. Fallon did not comment on the president's injury when he responded on Monday, only that he would be able "to give you a better answer by Wedneday morning."

Mearns thanked the EMTs at the Muncie Fire Department who responded on Thanksgiving afternoon, the physicians at Ball Memorial Hospital, the surgeons and staff at Central Indiana Orthepedics, the staff in the president's office, his wife, Jennifer and the Ball State community that sent their support his way.

"On Friday, our board of trustees is meeting and the doctors have said I can attend and participate in that meeting, and then on Saturday morning, we have our commencement excersises and I will be able to participate and attend that celebration," Mearns said.

The board of trustees will meet Friday at 9:30 a.m. and commencement will begin on Saturday at 10 a.m. in Worthen Arena.